Goat Island Shoreline - 7/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goat Island Shoreline - 7/22

I was at the Robinson Bayou boat launch (ANWR) at 0530 this morning ready to be launched before daybreak and whack 'em. I was counting on light winds to fish the north shoreline of East Bay and I bet wrong. It was blown out - winds 10+ and white caps. Even with the winds and chocolate water, there was bait everywhere. I launched and paddled around a bit between 0530 and 0600 but I knew it was a lost cause - almost went home but decided to reload and regroup.

I moved around to the south shoreline and launched at Stingaree Marina about 7:30a . I fished the marsh adjacent to the ICW until about 10:30a. Caught two specks and one flounder. All three fish caught between 8:30a and 9:30a.

Decided to paddle across the ICW and down to Stingaree Cove - wanted to do some exploring figuring that the fishing was pretty well done for the day when I headed that way around 10:30a. As I paddled down Fat Rat Flats, a series of slicks popped up in front of me. I got in position, cast and landed a 20+" speck. Chased the slicks a while longer and couldn't get a repeat. Paddled down to Stingaree Point and back and called it a day.

Water was sandy brown with limited visibility in the marsh and on the flats. Bait was everywhere. I saw glass minnows, finger mullet, and some brown shrimp all flying through the air at one time or another today. Wind was tough - blew hard before sunup and barely laid down. Started out SSW and swung through S to SSE throughout the morning. Got 7 1/2 drops of rain about 9:30a. Saw lightening to the distant west at noon.

All fish caught on a Morning Glory Hackberry Hustler rigged weedless on a plain 1/8" ounce jig head. Tried a pink skitterwalk and bone Top Dog throughout the day but only got one half hearted roll at the Top Dog. Happy I was able to scratch out some fish and scout an area I hadn't visited before. Hadn't planned on keeping any fish but my Mom wanted some filets so I kept two of the specks - a matched set. Cleaned them and dropped them off on the way home.

Tight lines.

"Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Gotta keep Mom happy!Nice report!
    I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Great report.....thanks
      sigpic
      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

A good report, wrote very well.
        Thanks,
        wd

Comment

Thanks for the report.

Comment

nice report. i like fishing that area.
            michelle

Comment

Great report,JYC. I've never fished over there. Sounds like fun!
              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Great report JYC!

Good job on the photos...and bringing Mom some fresh fish. Way to go man!

John
                John M. Wedergren
                Actor, Recording Artist, Teacher
                (281)-759-5019 - direct
                johnwedergren@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                X