Found the Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found the Fish

Got in at 6. Started the ol routine of using the hackberry hustler in morning glory. Winds were light initially, and the water was the same as yesterday. On my 3rd cast, I felt the tell-tale bite of a flounder and I set the hook. It was a nice sized fish and I pulled it closer to the net when I realized that the flounder was hanging on by the tail! That will be the story of the day. Those eyes looked up and he let go. Oh well. Not much action for a while. By 7:30 I had switched to a chartreuse/ white super spook jr. and tried covering water. After what seemed like a hundred casts, a good blowup and I hooked onto a good trout that peeled some drag. Brought it up and it was a ~21 inch trout, my personal best (i've hooked larger ones but never landed them). I was thrilled to say the least since I have caught trout on consecutive days. After that though, I covered a lot of water and had nothing to show for it. Time to move!

Moved to a different spot and used the same chartreuse/ white spook. First cast, I had a good blow up but no hook-up. Second cast same thing. Third cast, a trout went vertical and did a balancing act with my spook as it was sitting right on top of it's mouth, but not actually in it. The trout probably went a good 6 inches into the air! I was stoked to find such aggressive fish. However, the trout would only hit on an equally aggressive retrieve. By noon I had 19 blow-ups and 3 hook ups but did not get a fish. They were there but it seemed that my retrieve was too fast and they kept missing. If I slowed it down any, they wouldn't even touch it. Throughout my time there I tried different combinations but the fast/ aggressive retrieve was the only time I would get a strike. I even switched the colors up, hoping it would entice the fish to commit more. Eventually I got frustrated and I decided to call it a day and left them biting. Any suggestions on what I should have done?
    Resident Ninja

Sounds fun!
    Scott
    "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

great report!

Comment

Nice report Jhua. I wish I could give you some advice on top waters, but I've never even
        had a strike on them. I give up and go to soft plastics.

Comment

agreesive for about 10-15 or so twitches slight pause repeat. That slight pause should get them to hit with a hook in their mouth, also try putting a sure set hook on the back of your top water i have been using them lately and they have been working very well not only for me but the people i fish with also.

Comment

Jhua,
            Congratulations on the personal best. Did you try letting it sit?
            "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

I would suggest you loosen up your drag. With that many misses you may too quick in setting the hook and this will give the fish a better chance to hook-up.
              I've got Friday on my mind.

Comment

wait for the weight.

Comment

Fast retrieve and then dead stick it for a while. Sometimes they will get tired of watching it sit and blast it.
                  sigpic
                  Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Thanks! They wouldn't suck it under. More like they were playing with it and pop at it and send it flying. One of them basically threw it a foot and a half into the air.
                    Resident Ninja

Comment

Comgrats on your new personal best.... When you throw topwaters long enough you are gonna have those days. Every now and then you will have a day where you are getting blowups like crazy and no hook ups, it just happens sometimes. I have those days to where they are just blasting it bit just can't get the hook ups. Sometimes slowing it down or pausing will help but sometimes they will just frustrate you lol. I know it's hard to do when your getting blowups like that but try switching to a Corky, Catch 2000, or a soft plastic. Catch a few for the stringer then switch back to a Topwater. I say that but I have a hard time switching myself when I'm getting blowups like that. Just keep chunking at em and have fun with it lol

AQUA PIMP
                      AQUA PIMP......
                      "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

That sounds like a fun trip and good practice for your next one. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Sounds like a good day J. I don't think I could have put that top water down!! Lol - takes some discipline but aqua's right.
                          I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Comment

Yeah I probably should have switched over. Hopefully it stays like this until next week!
                            Resident Ninja

Comment

it's fun to watch them tail slap it out of the water into the air, but a lot more fun to have them hooked.

Comment

Working...
                              X