Copano and Mesquite bays, 7/23, 24 and 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copano and Mesquite bays, 7/23, 24 and 25

Me and the wife drug the boat down to my old stomping grounds and managed a good trip despite the high winds.

Saturday we tried the areas closest the house in Holiday Beach. Picked up some live shrimp from Sea Gun and used soft plastics as well, in and around the North end of Copano. Started at our favorite grass beds near Turtle Pen, but it was just about white capped mud. Tucked in around Windmill Point for some relief and found the water some what better. Caught some dink trout and rat reds... then the ladyfish and mr. wiskers showed up so we moved to another spot at the mouth to one of the back lakes. Ended up boxing one trout and a couple of nice flounder.

Sunday I found that everyone was out of live shrimp, so I picked up some croaker instead. Not how I usually like to fish, but with the high winds bottom fisihing was worth a try. Started out looking for a suitable Copano reef in deeper water with at least a hint of green. Tried a few spots mid bay without much luck. Then tried the gas wells and picked up a few trout. Then moved in behind the county airport and chased a few slicks. With the wind break of the island the water was pretty good, but all we could pick up were some rat reds on plastics. On the way back in I decided to try one last croaker spot near the causway. Bang! At almost high noon we found the trout. Most were just shy of keepers, but they kept getting larger the longer we fished. Ended up boxing 5 more and lost a 24" plus at the net. Ran out of bait and left them biting strong.

Monday morning I could not decide if we should go with croaker in Copano or try another spot with shrimp. Talked to the bait stand guy and he said croaker was catching trout every where, but had no reports from the spotty supply of shrimp. Decided to roll the dice and go with shrimp, busting through the waves to get to one of my favorite spots in Mesquite bay. Upon getting there the water at my spot looked terrible, but I noticed one finger of green water coming in from Cedar Bayou. Followed it in around to where it tucked into a reef behind a spoil island. The wind break gave a perfect place to anchor up and toss back to the reef. Had lots of fun catching 18' to 20' reds one after another and boxes a few flounder and a trout before burning through the quart of shrimp.

It is well after noon, but it is our last day and we have a few left over dead croaker, large mullet and pin fish. The wife grabs a palm sized piggy, which I was going to cut up, and tosses it out there whole. No sooner than it hits the water, it takes off... wham! She wrestles in a 27.5' red and for the next couple of hours we are catching big reds with the occiasional saddle blanket mixed in. Kept a few more upper slot reds and flat out wore ourselves out fishing and busting through white capped rollers to finally get back around 4:30. Between the waves, the heat and the big fish, we both agreed that we felt as if we had been offshore. Has to rank up there with one of my top windy day trips. What a blast!
    Attached Files
    "You've got to think lucky. If you fall into a mudhole, check your back pocket, you might have caught a fish" - Darrell Royal

Great report. Hell of a way to end your trip.

Comment

Now that sounds like a fun trip! Way to go!
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Sounds like a blast....thanks for the report!
        sigpic
        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Great report.Sounds like a blast.
          Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	K's monster red.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	921.5 KB
ID:	554638Click image for larger version

Name:	Ayers flounder.jpg
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	554637Click image for larger version

Name:	boat waiting on K2.jpg
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	554636Click image for larger version

Name:	Bills 26.jpg
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	554635Click image for larger version

Name:	Bill n reds.jpg
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	554634
            "You've got to think lucky. If you fall into a mudhole, check your back pocket, you might have caught a fish" - Darrell Royal

Comment

Great report! I have an opportuniy to go to Copano next week. I have never fished Copano and have always been told it is hard to navigate due to the shallow reefs. Any suggestions on how to navigate and/or suggesting some good fishing spots.

Comment

Working...
              X