Pre-Don Report (07/29/11)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Don Report (07/29/11)

Walked in at exactly 6 today. Water was ripping and winds went up and down while I was there. Initial water clarity was a very dirty green as I worked a small gut with a hackberry hustler in morning glory. I couldn't find a flounder and by 7 the sun was up. I could see some nervous bait in front of me and I switched to a bone super spook junior but there was no interest. By now the winds was not too bad, but it made it difficult to work the spook. I then switched to a plum/ chartreuse assassin and lo n behold, my first bite. A quick hookset later, I am fighting a good sized trout. After a few head shakes and a run, I bring it next to me and the trout gives another head shake and spits the lure at my face and swims off. I couldn't get another bite and by 7:30, I start working the shoreline.

I switch to the bone spook again and worked around 300 yds of shoreline and not have a blow up. Frustrated I switched to the plum/ chartreuse assassin and worked my way back to my car. About halfway back I had a hit but, no hookup. Second cast, twitch, twitch and BAM! My reel starts screaming and it feels like someone is strumming my line. After a few good runs it finally surfaces and I net it. Another personal best trout at 22.5 inches! I'm slowly getting there! I string that one and move on. A few yards later, I feel the bite and hook what I think is another trout. I will never know as the fish pops the line. I had no more plumtreuse assassins and I couldn't get another bite. Time to move.

At 10:30, I get to my second spot and find the winds have actually diminished to a paltry breeze and the water clarity is sandy green. The water was also kind enough to lay down. I put on the spook and start working it. A few casts in, BOOM, my spook flies into the air. At least it was a good sign the trout were there. 15 minutes later, my spook was sucked down, but I wasn't really paying attention and I gave it a bad hookset and after one head shake, the trout threw the spook. Then the winds pick up and the water starts capping a bit. I continue to throw my spook but I can't even see it. So, I look through my arsenal and find a pink corky that I had used that winter. Considering the water clarity, and the fact that so far most of the trout strikes have been short, I felt that this was the best choice.

The wind by now was actually howling and I had thoughts about calling it a day. I work the corky the only way I really know how- light twitches and long pauses. By my second cast, I make a twitch and away goes my corky as a trout hammers it! I bring this one up and it is a solid 17 inch trout. I start fan casting the area and after a few more casts, a trout tackles it, but doesn't hook up. I make another twitch and BAM the trout hits it again. I twitch it again and I get ready. The trout hits it again and I set the hook. The trout makes a flying leap into the air and I get this one in. The trout is 20 inches. I move a little more. As I reel in after my cast, I see some dark clouds coming. The winds are worse now and I have to move a few feet back so the water doesn't hit my face. I do a few twitches and the corky is a few feet in front of me. I twitch it to the surface and a trout inhales it right in front of me. Good thing I keep my drag light (after some heart-breaking past experiences) and it peels off and I have another solid 17 inch trout.

I manage to hook up with another one but it was probably 12 inches and I let him go. The water is real rough right now and I decide that my 4 trout are enough.
    Attached Files
    Resident Ninja

WTG!!
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Nice report!

Comment

Wow, Jhua! Great report and a heck of a fun read! You have become one heck of a good fisherman!
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

nice report!

Comment

And let this be a lesson Always and I mean always Cary plenty of plum/char Assassins lol.

Nice job and nice report

AQUP PIMP
            AQUA PIMP......
            "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Originally posted by aqua pimp View Post
              And let this be a lesson Always and I mean always Cary plenty of plum/char Assassins lol.

Nice job and nice report

AQUP PIMP
              Thanks! And yeah, I just stocked up my wading box!
              Resident Ninja

Comment

Great write up Jhua. Congrats on the PB speck. You've got me beat, but I am coming for ya.

Comment

good job dood!
                  I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Comment

"Train up a child..."
                    Good job young man!

Moe
                    Whatever it is,good or bad, God knows! Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

Great report Johnathan!
                      I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Great job. Thanks for sharing your report.
                        "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

great report I cant wait to get back out there

Comment

Nice catch and great report.

Comment

great report "J". way to hang in there. good stringer. Lord Bless.
                              robert
                              And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Working...
                              X