• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shimano Core

Let's hear it, good, bad or ugly.
    Looking hard at the Shimano Core.
    Thanks

I Iike mine. Still prefer the 50mg but it's a solid reel.

Comment

I have mine on a 6'9 green rod med light, and it's awesome.

Comment

great superlight i want another one haha

Comment

Just bought the E7 curado - was looking at the core too.

At FTU they have the curado's on sale for $130ish so I picked one up...and all I gotta say is wow...what have I been missing out on! Casting underhand as far as I used to throw overhand is always a great sign ha ha. Thing casts like a dream!

Not to hijack the thread of anything ha...I'd love to hear some other reviews on the core though.
          I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Comment

Good reels, but my 2 cents is the Curado's E series is just as good for the price...and you can get the 50 if you want something a little smaller. I don't think they are any better than the Core, but you sure can buy a lot of other fishing stuff for the same price. AND I think that the magnesium frames are the ones that eventually rusted out on the Chronarch 50 mgs...they may have fixed the issue but long term its something to think about.

Comment

I've own or used almost every Shimano BC reel excluding the new stuff they came out with last month. I bought a Core when they came out several years ago and I have gone through a few since.

The Good:
              Light
              Smooth

The Bad and Ugly:
              Price
              Durability

I admit I don't maintenance my reels as often as I should, I fish more than most, and I'm hard on my gear, but I'm proficient at cleaning and breaking down a BC reel. I decided to go away from magnesium framed reels. Had too many die on me. The problem with magnesium and saltwater is once it starts corroding there's nothing you can do to fix it. On non-magnesium framed reels parts can be replace fairly inexpensively. My current favorite reel is the Curado 50E. Casting distance depends more on the user's casting ability than reel...don't believe the hype. The Core didn't cast any further than my other reels. You're paying for weight reduction with the Core.

Comment

Originally posted by jpchavez23 View Post
                I've own or used almost every Shimano BC reel excluding the new stuff they came out with last month. I bought a Core when they came out several years ago and I have gone through a few since.

The Good:
                Light
                Smooth

The Bad and Ugly:
                Price
                Durability

I admit I don't maintenance my reels as often as I should, I fish more than most, and I'm hard on my gear, but I'm proficient at cleaning and breaking down a BC reel. I decided to go away from magnesium framed reels. Had too many die on me. The problem with magnesium and saltwater is once it starts corroding there's nothing you can do to fix it. On non-magnesium framed reels parts can be replace fairly inexpensively. My current favorite reel is the Curado 50E. Casting distance depends more on the user's casting ability than reel...don't believe the hype. The Core didn't cast any further than my other reels. You're paying for weight reduction with the Core.
                Thanks for this.
                I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Comment

I can't fish with anything other than 202s lol.
                  Last edited by dbarham; August 1, 2011, 04:59 PM.

Comment

going on 3 years with mine wipe it down with corrosion x are reel magic never broke it down for a good cleaning light cast a mile the drag is awesome I will buy another one my 2 cent's

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
                      I can't fish with anything other than 202s lol.
                      33's for me

Comment

I have two. Both on FTU green rods, medium and light action. I ended up with the Cores after trying three other top end brands. You will like them.
                        I'm getting ready to buy a Shimano FG CI4 spinning rig. Something different.........
                        Fishwhisperer

Comment

I own one Core 50 and want another! Used it from offshore on chickies to 25# jacks...the 11# drag is smooth as silk and the hand fit and weight are great for all day fish slammin. Break it down and clean then wipe with Corrosion X and your good for another couple a months. Just equipped it with some new ceramics...can't wait to give it a shot!
                          Don't be a Nancy!
                          If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Working...
                          X