Kayak Stabilizer Rig Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Stabilizer Rig Idea

I just thought of a way to add a little stability to my kayak. I wanted to see if ya'll think it will work.

My thought is using Hole Through the Middle Boat Fenders.
    - I would run a rope through the fender.
    - Take the rope ends and run them under the kayak and up through the scupper holes
    - Pull the rope tight and tie it back to the fender or something topside

This would keep the fender in place and depending on the size of the fender, could add 8" or so of stability on each side of the kayaks. When I want to paddle far, I'll just throw the fenders in the storage to prevent drag.

I was soooo close to doing that bubba.... thought about it for a year or so. I have since found out that I can stand and drift, even stick and fight fish, while standing only sitting to land them. A drift anchor helps out quite a bit and u can change the angle of your body and use it somewhat like a sail to change angles without adjusting drift sock.

Always wondered why nobody was doing the HTM fenders as it will work ....

Comment

Sounds like it would work. The drag will make paddling next to impossible while they are on the bottom of the yak. Is stability that big of an issue to go through all that work?

Comment

RickLued, I can stand up in my OK Prowler 15 if there's no waves. I have a Perception Prism that is a little more squirly. What kind do you have?

Milkjug, I don't think it'd be that much work. Just pull a rope through a fender and run it through the scupper holes. The only downfall is I'd have to pull up on a sandbar or somewhere I can stand and lift the kayak enough to reach the scupper holes on the bottom. I think I'm going to give it a try. Who knows, it might be just a wobbly. It seems like most of those stabilizer kits stick out pretty far.

Comment

Heritage Redfish 14

Comment

Working...
          X