Lady fish and a slam.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady fish and a slam.

Took the old kayak out today for a stand up paddle. So I took my rod along just incase there was some fish activity. Launched at Hwy 6 under the bridge and worked my way down the shore line towards Jones. All along the grass there were shad and shrimp getting spooked but I wasn't seeing anything chase them. So I continued down the channel and right at the last bend in the grass before you get to the rail road track all hell broke loose. Shad and shrimp were spraying across the water. Large slicks and big boils were showing up. First cast, I let sink to the bottom bouncing along a oyster cluster. Hooked into a dink trout then casted into a little deeper water. I couldn't even get the plastic to the bottom before my line went tight and I see a lady fish jumping out of the water. I didn't even bother setting the hook. It went on like this for 2 hours. Every 3rd cast I would hook into a lady fish. Then I would hook into rat reds, small flounder, and just under leagal sized specks. As long as I could keep my bait away from the concentrated balls of shad I stayed away from the lady fish but the shad were in there so thick it was pretty hard to stay away. I ended the day with 2 keeper flounder in the 15" range, no keeper trout, and a solid red that broke me off at the kayak. Bait of choice was crappie assassins in 2 inch curly tails in salt and pepper and phantom. I tied on a 1/8oz crappie jig head trailing behind a 1/16oz. crappie jig head tandom rig. I casted the cast net to see what size the bait in the water was and that is the size that I came up with. Good luck
    Son of the Republic

Great report!
    I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Nice! I'm pretty happy as long as i'm catchin fish!
      Resident Ninja

Comment

Sounds like fun
        sigpic
        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Nice report...wishing I was fishing instead of typing!

Comment

Nice report!
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Is that a good Kayaking spot?

Comment

Nice report, good work matching the hatch.

Is that a good Kayaking spot?
                Yep, launch at the 'ol LBC. Marsh and night-lights close by.

Comment

Working...
                X