Clear All

• Steamed Fish (Asian Style)

Steamed Fish (Asian Style)

Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	569919

Usually I use flounder or black drum. Red fish are doable if you have a big enough pot. Trout are a no since they have little bones.

1. Remove the fish head behind the gills.
    2. Remove the organs through the opening you have created from the decapitation.
    3. Afterwards rinse the inside of the fish and try and remove all the red blood vessels within the opening
    4. Cut off all fins. On flounder, you can leave the ones on the side.
    5. Scale the fish.
    6. Put sea salt on your hands, and lightly rub the fish. This helps soften the meat and adds a little flavor. If cooking right away, lightly rinse the fish and let it air dry for about 10 minutes. If cooking tomorrow, put the fish on a large plate, and cover it with a damp (not soaking) cloth or paper towel.
    7. Slice half a palm's worth of ginger root into thin strips. Put aside.
    8. Using one bundle of green onion, cut it in half between the bottom white portion and upper green portion. You should be left with two parts.
    9. Like with the ginger, cut the white section into strips. Set aside.
    10. Cut the green portion in half again. Set aside.
    11. Place the fish in a bowl or container that can withstand high heat. This bowl will be going into the steamer pot.

Name:	IMAG0390.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	569917
    12. Squirt some soy sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil onto the fish. I am not sure on the exact amount as I just instinctively know. I do know that soy sauce is the base, followed by oyster and sesame. For a comparison, the amount of sauce you will need is equivalent to 2 shot glasses. Allow the fish to marinate in the sauce. In the mean time...

Name:	IMAG0393.jpg
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	569918
    Brand is Maggie. I can't read chinese or viet.

Name:	IMAG0396.jpg
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	569870

Name:	IMAG0395.jpg
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	569916

13. Get a pan and put a little oil in it, turn on stove.
    14. Saute white onions until brown.
    15. Add the ginger and let simmer for a few minutes.
    16. Add water to the steamer pot and let boil.
    17. Add the sauteed white onion section and ginger onto the fish. Depending on fish size this should take a minimum of 15 minutes. In order to check, use a chopstick (or a back end of spoon or fork) and stick it into the fish and remove. If meat is stuck to the chopstick or utensil, the fish is not ready.
    18. Once the fish is ready, add the green section of onions and let it steam for an additional 2 minutes.
    Optional: While the fish is steaming, cut up red peppers (the really hot ones) and throw it in with the onions on step 18.
    19. Remove bowl from the steamer, and serve with white rice!

Enjoy!

This is a black drum I cooked.

Name:	29475_431532660538_602235538_5932044_1035923_n (1).jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	569920
    Resident Ninja

Next flounder gets the steamer. Of course I'll need to buy one.

Comment

That looks incredible! I gotta try it!
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Cool, thanks for taking the time to share that recipe!
        Scott
        "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Good on you for sharing some Asian recipes with these good 'ol boys This is a good one and pretty healthy too.

You can also use fish fillets. I like to get some sliced chinese cabbage and mushrooms and make a bed of veggies to put the fish on, it soaks up those good juices. I also like rubbing some sesame oil and pepper on the fish.

If you don't have a steamer, you can put a shallow layer of water in a big pot, put an upside-down bowl in it, and put the plate of fish on the bowl. Cover the fish with foil to keep dripping condensation off. Lid on the pot of course. I also don't mess with it until it is done, too hot and steamy! I need to get a real steamer...

Comment

great recipe i got a 22 inch flounder with this recipies name on her!
            MANVEL MOB

Comment

Mangroves are awesome with this recipe!
              Resident Ninja

Comment

I'd think so. It's like most cooking, you don't have to be exact.

Comment

That sounds and looks awesome! Going to try it soon. This is my Thai Redfish on the halfshell dish. It is pretty danged good!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks alot! I JUST ATE and now I'm STARVING!
                    Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
                    "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

That sounds good! Do you leave the body whole or make a few slices in it ?

Comment

Originally posted by KennyWayne View Post
                        That sounds good! Do you leave the body whole or make a few slices in it ?
                        Whole, but slices will work too. Lets the sauce soak into the meat.
                        Resident Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by Funk Shoal Brutha View Post
                          That sounds and looks awesome! Going to try it soon. This is my Thai Redfish on the halfshell dish. It is pretty danged good!
                          Now that looks good! I see that Sirachi sauce in the corner. That stuff is good too!
                          Resident Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by Funk Shoal Brutha View Post

Recipe Please!!!!!!! Looks great
                            Team Tres Compadres
                            Chris H.

"Clear Skies and Tight Lines"

Comment

Love the Thai cooking, hot chilis, onions... very good..
                              Team Tres Compadres
                              Chris H.

"Clear Skies and Tight Lines"

Comment

Working...
                              X