Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Battery

Ok Guys,

I need some advice. I have a battery that is fading, not taking a charge very well and runs down quick.

What kind of battery should I get? I would normally just go to Wally World or Academy and get the best they got. Most are under $75.00. I really can't spend the money for one of those fancy "Gel Cells".

This is my main starting battery in my boat. (I have two...)

What are you guys using?

Thanks in advance..
    "Buy a Fish, Feed Yourself... Buy a Fishing License, Feed a Whole Community..."
    "The Fish You Catch, Tastes Better, than the One You Bought..."

27 series marine battery
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I have a "Sure Start" battery from wally world and it takes a charge great. Are you sure it's not the alternator on your motor? Have you checked the connections on the battery and alternator?
      I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
        I have a "Sure Start" battery from wally world and it takes a charge great. Are you sure it's not the alternator on your motor? Have you checked the connections on the battery and alternator?
        I did check the connections on the motor. All seems good. I ran on battery #2 a few times and it is ok, it doesn't run down. Battery #1 runs down by the end of the day. Both batteries are two years old... These are the original batteries from the dealer.. They are "Exide Marine"...I looked them up and they are nothing special. The only thing that may be special is that they are 1000 CCA batteries. When I looked them up they were rated for engines 150 HP or greater...
        "Buy a Fish, Feed Yourself... Buy a Fishing License, Feed a Whole Community..."
        "The Fish You Catch, Tastes Better, than the One You Bought..."

Comment

I bought a battery last year and it was dead I got it replaced for free...I bought 4 new ones for the Robalo I got some discount from the manufacturer b/c they still had warranty left on them.
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I have a gel cell because my dad gave it to me. It's nice, but if I'm paying I go wet cell. I think the main advantage to a gel cell is you don't have to check the water level. I don't mind doing so, but if your batts are in a place that's tough to get to . . . .
            From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

The gell cell's take the pounding better and seem to hold the charge better and are maintenance free. That's about the main differences.
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I've always bought the marine batts at walmart and had really good luck with them.
                I have four on my boat.
                Two for trolling motor, two for boat.
                "Anything worth doing is worth doing right"

Comment

I had the same wet batteries from wal-mart for years on my boat. Exide I think. Never checked the levels once, lasted about 4-5 years. Even if they do go out, they are a third of the price of gel.

Comment

Gel cells can be mounted in any position, take a pounding, and can be submerged. Submerge a lead acid battery in saltwater and you get chlorine gas. Also, in Monte's friends boat capsizing case, gel cell batteries enabled them to have comunication and lights during their ordeal. Well worth the expense in my opinion.
                    ..7, I doubt that it is his altenator because unless it is an inboard, it doesn't have one.
                    "Nobody's so poor that democrats can't get rich screwing 'em."
                    boom

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                      The gell cell's take the pounding better and seem to hold the charge better and are maintenance free. That's about the main differences.
                      Gell cells are also known as AGM batteries. AGM, Absorbant Glass Material in addition to all of the other qualities you listed take a charge faster that wet cell batteries so when you run them down with all your electronics on your drift patterns the minute you crank that motor to swing around they will get closer to being charged than if you had a regular wet cell.

I love my AGM batteries. I run them for trolling motor and main batteries. Yes there expensive but then again the've pulled some hard sun up to sun down days for me too without complaining.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by boom View Post
                        Gel cells can be mounted in any position, take a pounding, and can be submerged. Submerge a lead acid battery in saltwater and you get chlorine gas. Also, in Monte's friends boat capsizing case, gel cell batteries enabled them to have comunication and lights during their ordeal. Well worth the expense in my opinion.
                        ..7, I doubt that it is his altenator because unless it is an inboard, it doesn't have one.
                        I agree, but for bay boats its probably not as necessary. I would definitely have them on a boat going past 50 miles out.

Comment

FYI.......

I was getting ready to get some gel cells for my 200 Yamaha and the guy behind the counter said not to. The charging system does not agree with them for some reason. The Yamaha rep said the same thing. But....... There are plenty people that use them on their Yamahas with no prob.......
                          Fishwhisperer

Comment

I have had good luck with regular Academy or Walmart batteries. The short Academy deep cycle is an 07 and going strong.
                            "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Working...
                            X