Wade fishing essentials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wade fishing essentials

I stayed with a friend of mine in Kemah this weekend and on the way home this morning I noticed some fellas wade fishing. Iv always liked the idea of wade fishing done it a few times but would like to get into more. What are some essentials Id need to wade fish. I understand a rod and reel but just curious what else.

I don't wade fish much, but when I do, I pack light.

* Simple belt with a rod holder or two
    * Stainless pliers on a tether
    * A few go-to lures
    * A quick release stringer - don't tie your stinger to your belt unless you want to be pulled to deeper waters
    * Wade boots
    * Ray guards!!!!

I don't use much more than that. This is going to be a great thread with some good info.

Comment

Iam with you the lighter the better. I have been freezing a bottle of water and puting it in my belt as well that a way I have a cool drink after the sun gets up and Iam to far from the boat.

Comment

Summer time:

*wading belt with pliers, stringer, Boga, and box (for topwaters only) that attatches to my wading belt.
        *over the shoulder wading box that has an extra stringer, soft plastics, Corkys, extra lead heads, and a spool of leader.

Winter time
        * Breathable waders, wading boots, and I mainly just stick to the over the shoulder wading box that has my pliers, stringer, Boga lead heads, Corkys, Assassins, and topwaters.

I like the over the shoulder boxes because I dont like getting my Corkys and plastics wet when im not using.

A few extra thing I carry
        * My camera in water proof bad
        *Cell phone (winter time)
        *Sun glasses and sun glass cleaners
        *fingernail clippers

When I wade I like to travel light as possible. No do-net or landing net as they tend to just get in the way. Do-nets are harder to get out of your way if you have a big pissed off Trout or Red right in front of you thats going out of control. If that Red or Trout runs into the do-net with a topwater, "game over".

AQUA PIMP
        AQUA PIMP......
        "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

a gasket box for my top waters and corkys, attached to a sting so it floats behind me, pilers in my shirt pocket if i remember them, shades, and my foga (fake *** boga) if I remember it.

Comment

Ray guard stingray boots, do-net with 3 trays and rod holder, hand net, clippers, sunglasses, long sleeve shirt, chest wading pouch with extra rod holder, breathables for summer, neoprenes for winter, plastic boga like they use on TV., pliers, hook sharpener. i carry extra items in shirt. i have a hunting pouch that wraps around my waist. i have a string that hooks from my hunting pouch to the net. i place the net on top of the do-net. convinient for me. fisherman's hat with flap on back (protects back of head and ears from sunburn). throw in a bottle of power aid in the do-net. hope this helps. Lord Bless.
            robert
            And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Thanks guys I think I'm goin to pick up some things this week and give it my best this weekend. I'm still tryin to figure out where I should go. I live close to trinity bay and I have a 17ft aluminum center console. Any suggestions for that area general not exact I know how people feel about their honey holes lol.

Comment

Hookset wade belt. On the belt on the left I use a Hookeset pouch with yellow latch lure It's not very big but deep enough for box and on the right side I carry my pliers/stringer. I use a pistol holster for my Boga.
                In the surf I use a shoulder box, but using the shoulder box makes me have neck & shoulder problems.
                "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Originally posted by aqua pimp View Post
                  Summer time:

*wading belt with pliers, stringer, Boga, and box (for topwaters only) that attatches to my wading belt.
                  *over the shoulder wading box that has an extra stringer, soft plastics, Corkys, extra lead heads, and a spool of leader.

Winter time
                  * Breathable waders, wading boots, and I mainly just stick to the over the shoulder wading box that has my pliers, stringer, Boga lead heads, Corkys, Assassins, and topwaters.

I like the over the shoulder boxes because I dont like getting my Corkys and plastics wet when im not using.

A few extra thing I carry
                  * My camera in water proof bad
                  *Cell phone (winter time)
                  *Sun glasses and sun glass cleaners
                  *fingernail clippers

When I wade I like to travel light as possible. No do-net or landing net as they tend to just get in the way. Do-nets are harder to get out of your way if you have a big pissed off Trout or Red right in front of you thats going out of control. If that Red or Trout runs into the do-net with a topwater, "game over".

AQUA PIMP
                  x2.
                  I do carry a collapsible wading staff when I'm wading alone. I've got a nice Shimano wading belt I like, but I keep hearing about the Hooksets so I'll probably pick one up before long. I mainly use my over the shoulder box for tackle. It's easy to swing in front for lures and swing back out of the way.
                  "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Not Neccessary, But Highly Recommended

..... a beer koozie with a neck strap

Comment

x2, lighter the better...

I wear a dive knife on my thigh (tomb raider style). It's come in handy for backlashes.

Be prepared that everything you take in, will get wet and get thrown off you (so tether it).
                      At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

pliers around neck,small tacklebox with lures in shorts,done. the less the better!
                        the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Do you guys wear shorts or breathable waders?

Comment

Originally posted by CKRIGAR View Post
                            Do you guys wear shorts or breathable waders?
                            Quick dry pants from Academy. The small jellies seem to not bother me and just pass on by when I am wearing pants.

Comment

Originally posted by buoy37 View Post
                              Quick dry pants from Academy. The small jellies seem to not bother me and just pass on by when I am wearing pants.
                              I like the Nylon Magellans with the zip off pant. Nylon drys quick. If jellies are present I'll keep the pant leg on, otherwise they're zipped off. Since I kayak more, I keep the pant leg on as a sun screen.

Lately, I've been dropping by the Value Village, Purple Heart, Salvation Army for fishing pants and shirts. I've found zip off Magellans (nylon and otherwise, pant and shirts) for $2-$5. For dead people's clothes, that's not a bad price.
                              At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X