Fly Fishing - Southwest Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly Fishing - Southwest Colorado

My family and I just returned from a two week trip to Durango, Colorado. We have made the trip every year for the last five or six years. My kids (10, 8, 5 & 2) always have a good time playing outdoors. I always get to break away for a little fly fishing. Here is a condensed report.

I fished the Upper Animas River outside Silverton, Colorado last week. Above Silverton, the river is pretty narrow and looks like a high mountain creek. I walked in near the Old 100 mine and fished up about a mile. Caught a good number of brook trout and several cutthroats. Most of the fish were small but fun on a 3 weight. All caught on a #16 Elk Hair Caddis or a #16 Royal Trude.

On Wednesday last week, a good friend of mine and I fished the Piedra River with a guide from Duranglers. We have fished with this guide once or twice a year for the last five years and count him as much as a friend. We walked the Piedra Trail above First Fork Creek and fished the river up from the first meadow. We hadn't had much rain the week we fished so flows were slightly down and the fish were holdingin deeper runs with good current.

The bite wasn't spectacular but we hooked one fish in all the A+ spots. Fish were caught on a hopper/dropper setup with an attractor fly in a grasshopper pattern (Idylwilde's Chubby Chernobyl) with a beadhead stonefly nymph underneath. We fished large dropper flies with tungston beads to get down in the current and it paid off. We caught some nice browns and rainbows to 15". A couple pictures of our surroundings.

There are some great creeks and rivers to fish in SW Colorado. If you are headed that way, I would be glad to share some of the spots/flies that have worked for me during the summer months. Great way to beat the heat back here at home.

JYC
    "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Was the Caddis hatch still going on?
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Caddis were still hatching. We also saw a number of stonefly husks on the rocks at the waterline. A little late in the year to see that many. May have been the reason the larger dropper fly produced so well.
      "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Thanks for sharing the story and pics....sure makes me miss fishing with my brother in CO. The first trip I had there was in early September and we waded a small stream....that water was sooo cold (no waders) that my toes were cramping! Ha...

Comment

Great pictures.I love fishing up them parts.Was in Yellowstone couple months back fishing the Firehole River and it was great! Wyoming is God's country.Last year we fished The Big Thompson in Colorado,so pretty lots of fish.Great memories.Next year I'll be heading to Missoula Montana.
          Kumala the Ugandan giant

Comment

Very nice. I'm jealous!
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Nice report and good looking fish!!
              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Awesome pics......i will be in Chrystal Butte late next summer doing a little fly fishing. Can't wait to get up there!
                sigpic
                Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Leaving Friday for Breckinridge/ Fairplay...53 high/33 low, and rain! Nice report and pics, I'll be trying a few different areas and some high mountain lakes this go round. Might hit the Golden Mile too if I have time!
                  Don't be a Nancy!
                  If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Cool story and pics! Sounds like you had a good time. My only problem is that I'm confused since it's not saltwater....
                    http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Damn tough fishing the Central Colorado Platte River areas. Finally found a combo that would work somewhat...small dry fly with a tiny bead trailer about 10" back. Caught me a few on the Dream Stream between Spinney Mtn Resv. and Anterro Resv.
                      Found em hanging under ledges buried...Know why they call it the Dream Stream? If you're dreamin about trout...you're prolly doing better than someone fishin that area!
                      Don't be a Nancy!
                      If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Working...
                      X