GISP 8/13, What am I doing wrong????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GISP 8/13, What am I doing wrong????

Looking at the reports I knew the surf would be horrible once again, this was my last weekend to fish for a while. Thought conditions would be good, but once again I struck out:

Fishing Time: 600 am - 1100 am
    Tide: Tail end of incoming tide(800 high) and then slack
    Wind: SSW 7-11 mph
    Water Clarity: 2 feet over grass, 1 ft over sand bottoms
    Locations fished: East Side of Danas cove in between shorline and grass islands in Knee deep water w/ grass, and then inside of the geotubes
    Bait used: topwater early over grass, then soft plastics around geo tubes

I started off seeing some surface action around sunup so I thought i'd try some topwaters(I've never caught a fish on topwater). Tied on a white ss jr w/ red head. Proceeded on a medium retrieve. Had one gulp but not hooked, also had 2 bumps, in about 1.5 hours of trying. Switched to bone and nothing. Then around 9 the action shut down on top. Took the kayak over to the geotubes and jigged a new penny gulp shrimp for some flounder w/ no success. Moved a little away from the geotubes and fished w/ soft plastics and some more tops to no success. I'd love to know what i'm doing wrong, although I didn't see a whole lot of fish being caught. Now that I'm using my yak, I find myself paddling around looking for signs of bait, but not knowing what to do or where to fish when the signs aren't their. I saw spots of what appeared to be fish hitting bait on top, but not the telltale bait scattering. Any advice would be appreciated.

Full moon messed you up.

Comment

You probably got some bites really early with the moon up and full concurrent with a (slightly) rising tide but I'm not surprised it died shortly thereafter.

I went back and looked at the West Bay tides for the 13th and there was only 0.1ft of tidal movement forecast between 9am and 6pm - an incredibly long slack tide. In my experience, that is a real killer - bait won't move and fish won't eat. On a day like that, I like to fish the gaps between spoil islands near the ICW or a marsh area where wind or passing barges forces water movement. Water pushing through the gaps and pull some bait with it causing some fish to pile up. The last two times I went out in East Bay, I had similar conditions and had luck fishing the cuts in Marsh Point.

GISP is a great spot for kayak fishing. If you go back on a day with a good rising tide and try the same techniques, you'll do well.
      "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

I'm somewhat new down here and haven't fished GISP. Is it best on an incoming or outgoing tide?

Comment

Some things to consider:
          - Backside of the full moon
          - SW & SSW wind for over a week
          - SW wind has tides low
          - Not much current or tidal movement
          - Hot & salty water
          "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat_Fisherman View Post
            I'm somewhat new down here and haven't fished GISP. Is it best on an incoming or outgoing tide?
            It seems to do better overall on an incoming tide, then fish the south side of Dana. On outgoing, fish the tube gaps.
            But any good sized tidal movement should pick things up.
            There is also a gut (marked with pvc) to try into.
            At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

The coves are pretty slow in the summer, at least that's been my experience. If you are limited to walk in spots give Texas City a shot.

Comment

..and when I do catch them it's usually at the mouths or points where it's close to deeper water..

Comment

I was back there Sun evening. There was lots of bait in the water and blow ups every few minutes in about 10" of water. The grass came to the top of the water and there were a few tails flickering right on the shore line. I caught one 18" with new penny gulp working the edge of the grass but as for the reds in the grass, I couldnt get there noses off the bottom. I threw tops and weedless plastics but they weren't interested. I don't know how to catch those ones. When the sun was gone, there were still blow ups but i couldnt catch em. Are the only options tops and glow plastics at night? heck if i know

Comment

its not what you were doing wrong.....the fish werent there!
                    the previous conditions played a major factor...Kenny has a great point
                    Captain Glenn Stevens
                    Coastal Guide Service
                    www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Originally posted by TTU Wader View Post
                      The coves are pretty slow in the summer, at least that's been my experience. If you are limited to walk in spots give Texas City a shot.
                      TTU Wader, Texas City Dike is on my list to try. Is it kayak friendly or is there too much wind and barge traffic? I don't know that area at all. From reading on here it sounds like at the beginning of the dike there is a deeper pocket of water the fish are usually in?

Comment

Looking at Google Map, what is the best kayak launch spot? Dana Cove, Oak Bayou, Butterowe Bayou, or somewhere in the neighborhood off Jolly Roger Rd?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat_Fisherman View Post
                          Looking at Google Map, what is the best kayak launch spot? Dana Cove, Oak Bayou, Butterowe Bayou, or somewhere in the neighborhood off Jolly Roger Rd?
                          You can pay the park fee and launch directly into Dana Cove from the park. I avoid the fee and launch in Lake Como and paddle the xtra distance into the cove or over to Oak bayou.

There really isn't a park designated launch spot into Oak or Butterowe.
                          Correction, the park map shows a launch into Oak Bayou, but there is no parking at the launch spot.
                          Last edited by Oleander Kayaker; August 17, 2011, 02:45 PM. Reason: Looked at park map to confirm
                          At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Working...
                          X