Leaders & Knots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaders & Knots

I have 10# mono on almost all my reels. For years, I would tie my mono directly to the lure or hook with a palomar or clinch knot.

Over the last couple of years, I have gotten in the habit of tieing a 3' to 4' leader of 20# mono on my main line with a surgeon's knot and then tieing the leader to the hook or lure. I use a clinch knot, palomar or canoe knot to the lure depending on how I'm feeling at the time.

One one hand, I like the leader as it gives me a bit more abrasion resistance in shell. On the other hand, more knots tends to mean more places for the line to break (particularly if you tie surgeon's knots like I do).

What's your consensus on rigging jig heads and topwaters for inshore fishing?
    "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

I like what you are doing, but I use an improved clinch knot. I would suggest flourocarbon for your leader material. Also, an improved clinch to improved clinch works good also-that's what Aqua Pimp showed me. Thanks capt. Greg-see I can learn something sometimes!
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I use the same set up but the only difference is I use a loop knot. 10lb main line and 20lb shock leader. This is a great way to do it and rarely fails. Day to day fishing I will some times use a quick clip but on tourney day its always a loop knot to tie my leader to the baits.

AQUA PIMP
      AQUA PIMP......
      "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

I use the uni to uni knot to connect 10lb mono to 20lb leader. Never fails!

Comment

What Robalo said add in a loop knot depending on how im feeling.....Like that canoe knot never seen that before or I plumb done forgot it
          Andros Tarpon 26

Comment

I use 30lb braid with about 6' of 20lb flouro leader attached with an Albright knot. Then I use a Mirrolure knot to attach my lure to the leader.

Comment

Hey some like the surgeons, blood, and other fancy knots but like TTU Wader I'm a "Uni Man," lol.

I use almost exclusively braided line now, like PowerPro, and even use 30 pound test fluoro for the leader around any rocks or oysters.

The main splice is a Red Philip's Knot, just an overhand hitch in the leader and a Uni on the braided part. Best knot ever invented for them two materials.

A 4 or 5 wrap Uni always worked for tying onto a lure for me.

Only reason I like the Uni is I can tie them in my sleep.

Old dawgs and new tricks, ya know?

Comment

Originally posted by smooth move
                uni to uni with a loop knot at the lure.
                Ditto.....20lb braid to 20lb Flouro
                sigpic
                Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Do you guys tie two unis so that the loops interconnect or you tie uni number 1 on standing line number 2 and uni number 2 on standing line number 1? (if you get my nongraphical description of the setup)
                  "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

just use 15lb mono problem solved

Comment

X2on what pimp said!! I you cant tie a knot tie alot
                      Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

I got used to Bloodknots between main line and leader and Kreh (loop) knot to lure. I gotta try the Uni. The main thing is, tie what is easy to you. Don't let your knot be the cause of missing a fish. It really makes you mad at yourself.
                        I am going to practice the Uni to Uni and see if it is easier to tie than the bloodknot.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerkyourcroaker View Post
                          Do you guys tie two unis so that the loops interconnect or you tie uni number 1 on standing line number 2 and uni number 2 on standing line number 1? (if you get my nongraphical description of the setup)
                          Uni on standing line then 2nd on other standing line (if I understand it as you put it)
                          sigpic
                          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

I use a 5 foot 20 pound test leader with a non slip mono knot when using top waters. This knot allows the top water to move more naturally.

Comment

and i use an albright or blood knot to tie my line to leader.

Comment

Working...
                              X