Sportsman's Rd.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportsman's Rd.

Here is a post I've made about fishing the end of SR, a very popular and good kayak spot.

Here is a map with some points of interest...

1) This is a good spot for flounder, especially in the early stages of the run where they congregate on the bay shores. On an outgoing tide, the first dock provides shelter, and is an ideal location to ambush bait flushed from the bayous W. of here. Fish near the dock pilings.

2) This is a fairly deep cut. Fish the downcurrent side depending on the tide. Good spot for topwater trout, and I've heard of people catching flounder here. Also a good spot if you want to still fish with some bait.

3) I have caught trout at this point at certain times

4) The reef. This is probably my favorite spot. Great topwater spot during the spring/fall/summer. Good for trolling as it is a very expansive reef, and you can cover alot of water. Soak some dead shrimp in the winter (no bait stealers), and you are almost guarenteed sheephead, black drum, and reds. During the summer, if you need BTB bait, chum here and use a small hook and fill up with croaker, piggies, and sand trout.

5) This bayou drain can be good on an outgoing tide

6) This shoreline has given up nice reds on occasion and is good for drifting with an E/SE wind (rudder will help you here)

7) Another point that holds trout on occasion

As with all spots, keep moving until you find what works. Feel free to add in any information from yall's experiences.

Good info Milkjug!
    I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Sportsman Post Ike Aerial

Here's an aerial of the same general area MilkJug already posted.
      Attached Files
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Areas I like...the deep gut between the island and point, the reef in the middle back of the cove. The reef off the SW tip of the island and theres a series of guts off the second point.
        Attached Files
        Don't be a Nancy!
        If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Good info.Thanks for sharing
          NK
          Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Great post and information, you da man! Thanks

Friday morning the winds are going to be out of the SW shifting med day to the SE. How protected are you on a SW wind?
            Last edited by bountyhunter; April 7, 2009, 06:44 PM.
            Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

The winds are supposed to be light on Friday(compared to the gales we've been having) so it won't really matter the direction, but SW will not be too bad.
              sigpic
              Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Nice info guys.

I've fished that area on rare ocassion.
                "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

What type of lures or bait do you use out there Milkjug? I went out there today on Friday and did not even hit on my topwater lures.

Comment

Thanks for the info Milkjug.

Comment

Just use whatever you like for bay fishing.

As for bait, live shrimp is working well right now. The trash fish will get thick in the bays in a month or so and you will be better off using a small finfish like finger mullet.

I've been having good luck with gulp jerk shad or gulp shrimp. The topwater bite has been slow, but once there is more bait (look for surface action) I think they will be a good choice.

Comment

Okay thanks for the suggestion! Maybe I wll have better luck next time when I am out there... :0)

Comment

Very good info MJ. Any of you know if this area is wadeable or too muddy to wade?
                          Moe
                          Whatever it is,good or bad, God knows! Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

Definitely

Originally posted by Moe View Post
                            Very good info MJ. Any of you know if this area is wadeable or too muddy to wade?
                            Moe
                            Moe.....I have waded this area and it is pretty hard bottom, so no problem wading it. take it slow until you learn the area though. There are some deeper guts.
                            sigpic
                            Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Will do Hamma!
                              Whatever it is,good or bad, God knows! Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

Working...
                              X