Avid flyfisher-new to saltwater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avid flyfisher-new to saltwater

I have been fly fishing for years, build my own rods and tie my own flies. Thought I would give the surf a try. Looking for Galveston information on surf fishing with a fly rod. I have 9 and 10 weight rods I use for pike in the spring and probably the correct leaders and shock tippits.

Just don,t know anything about the surf. What are the favorable conditions? Any secrets to stepping the fly in? I imagine I need to increase the backing assuming I am lucky enough.
    1196 men went in to the water, 316 came out. "No Chief, I'll never wear a life jacket again".

I am not much of a fly-fisherman but wanted to extend a welcome...glad to have you!

Comment

Take either of the rods, bring a sining line for the surf, intermediate or full sink. Floating lines can be tough out there due to the wave action. Bring a handful of Clouser Minnows and you should find some action.

Good Luck!!
      http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Thanks. I am glad I found this forum.

Ted
        1196 men went in to the water, 316 came out. "No Chief, I'll never wear a life jacket again".

Comment

Howdy and welcome! Hope you do well at the surf. Favorable conditions are green water or even slightly off colored. Key in on pods of bait, which is usually mullet and shad. Water color is key, especially for trout. Sandy water, you may be able to pick off reds. Again good luck!
          Resident Ninja

Comment

Welcome aboard!
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
            X