Screw lock lead heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw lock lead heads

There are numerous lead heads out on the market today. Many come in different shapes, weights, hook sizes, and even colors. But in my opinion I think the greastest invention to these little fish catching devices has been the addition of the screw lock. The screw lock has helped extend the life of many of my Bass Assassins or any other soft plastic lures I throw. For an example, a few months back I was fishing with Steve AKA Spotsndots up in upper West Bay. The Trout were feeding hard and heavy. The first plum/char Assassin I rigged up caught 15 Trout between 15 to 24". After 7 or 8 Trout the bait looked totaly wore out but I told Spotsndots I was going to keep chunking it until it fell off the hook by itself. There was not another lead head on the market without the screw lock that would have kept this bait on the lead head in the right position during the cast in order for it to have worked. About 2 weeks later I set another personal best landing 18 keeper Trout on 1 Bass Assassin. I know soft plastics are cheap but if you can get an extra fish or two out of each bait, thats even better.

Pic 1-- The Bass Assassin's screw lock lead head in 1/8 ounce with the 5/0 Mustad Hook. (My favorite in weight and hook size with no color)
    Pic 2-- Take the point of the hook and place it dead center of the bait.
    Pic 3-- Push the hook through the bait until the hook gets about 1 3/8 to about 1 1/2" from the top of the bait. Make sure the hook exits dead center in the middle of the back of the baits body. A hook that is not in the center can cause the bait to spin when worked and not perform to its full potential.
    Pic 4-- Once the hook has exited the body, push the bait up towards the wire comming out of the lead head.
    Pic 5-- The final step will be screwing the soft plastic bait on to the screw lock. Bend the bait behind the hook the twist the body of the bait until its snug agait the lead head.

AQUA PIMP
    Attached Files
    AQUA PIMP......
    "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Make sure when your soft plastic baits are rigged the are straight. What I mean by this is that make sure the bodys of the bait are no crooked or have any lumps in the bodys of the bait. The back of the plastics should be straight.

Pic 1 Shows a Bass Assassin that has the hook exiting to close to the front of the bait. The hook was not pushed back far enough. NO GOOD!
    Pic 2 Shows the hook exiting to far back from the head of the bait causing the tail to bend upwards. NO GOOD!
    Pic 3 This is how a bait should look when rigged properly.

AQUA PIMP
    Attached Files
    AQUA PIMP......

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

When rigging my soft plastic baits I like to use a 18" 20 lb shock leader. I strongly recommend the use of a leader. My main line is 10lb test, so the addition of the shock leader will not break as easy as the 10lb test if nicked or chafed. Working soft plastics on lead heads around oysterbeds will cause damage to your line after several casts. Check the line often and after every fish. Rub your finger and thumb down the line to check for any wear. Replace if needed. When using lead heads I use a small barrel swivel to connect the 20 lb test line to the main 10 lb test line. This will also help prevent any line twist. From there I use a loop knot to tie to the lead head. The loop knot is the same knot I use to tie my topwaters on with. This is a great knot and will give the bait (plastic) more action on the free fall. The free fall or drop is where most of your strikes will come.

Pic 1 The loop knot
      Pic 2 The swivel connecting the main 10lb test line to the 20lb test shock leader

AQUA PIMP
      Attached Files
      AQUA PIMP......

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

This is why they call you the Pimp!!! You showed this to me on our trip together and I have been using it every since. Thanks for all the tips of the trait, because all it can do is help some of us non-pimps out!
        LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Good info! I second the loop knot for jerkbaits and tops.

One thing, if you're not sure where to exit the hook from the body of the plastic, before you thread it on the hook, hold the jighead in front of the plastic and visualize where it should exit. You could even put a small hole or scratch on the plastic to see.

After practice, you won't need to do this.

Comment

great posting. I also use the loop knot for everything.

Comment

Another great write-up AP!! Something that is this simple yet many dont know the correct way to do it and why. Thanks again for your tips and experience.

M.M.
              "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

I use a similar loop knot as well. I think it helps give natural looking action.

Comment

Same way i rig up ,Nice aqua pimp
                  10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Good info. Those screw lock jig heads are the bomb. Brown lures just came out with their own that I'm looking forward to using.

Comment

Old post but good info. Thanks Greg.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                      Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

good info I too use the browns screw locks
                        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Great info Capt Greg!
                          sigpic
                          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Uh-Oh something is starting to make sense to me. I KNEW I was doing something wrong! Thaks for pointing me in the right direction.

Really great posts!!

Comment

Great step by step instructions Capt.,
                              I haven't been using a Shock Leader and it does tangle up a tad, will give it a try!

Thanks for sharing, Jim Dandy Post!!

wd

Comment

Working...
                              X