charging batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charging batteries

I have (2) 12V batteries connedted in parallel. I have my charger set at 2 amp/ 12 v. How many hours should it take to charge up almost dead batteries?

The reason i ask is because. Like an idiot I connected the charger last night at 7 pm and left this morning with out disconnecting. i have charged them for 12 hrs before with no worries but looks like they are going to get a 24 hr charge today. i was hoping since I set at 2amp it would be ok. I need to invest in a better charger that shuts off auto.

Comment

They should be fine. 2 amps should take a couple of days to charge.
      Beandaddy

Comment

2 amp is maintainer amperage-should not mess up batteries. Go buy a maintainer charger and put it on each time you leave-batteries will be fine when you return. maintainers are cheap.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Popper in the morning Popper in the evening

Comment

I have 2 stowaway 12V from Academy not even 3 months old. i have them rigged in parallel. When im charging i can hear one battery making a bubbling sound but nothing from the other. They are not holding a charge for very long. I have been charging on 2amp(24 hrs) should i go to 10amps? my charger is not an auto type so i need to keep an eye on them. Or should I just chrge indivisually?

Comment

You need to charge each battery sepratley .... 10amps if they are low for a few hours .... also, make sure you fill them with water ..... if you can see the lead in a cell it's to late ... this needs to be checked every month

BTW
              I buy Bass pro boat chargers .... when the go bad (and they will) Bass pro will take them back with no box or reciept
              Get you a 24 volt 3 bank charger, and attach it to the boat
              FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Originally posted by pieman View Post
                I have (2) 12V batteries connedted in parallel. I have my charger set at 2 amp/ 12 v. How many hours should it take to charge up almost dead batteries?
                You're ok, no worries...
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

add water?

I have these 2 stowaway batteries from Academy. For the life of me I cannot see where you add water to these....Are some batteries sealed and do not add water?

Comment

yes some are sealed ...

Generally there is two small square/ rectangle black tops on the batteries....

They each plug three holes at a time, each hole has a seperate cell
                    FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

X2 on Muddskipper's comments (both of them). Personally, I would buy a smart charger-one that won't overcharge your batteries-they are fairly cheap (cheaper than buying a new battery if the old charger zaps it). Also, look at a 2 amp maintainer that you can plug in and leave connected-I leave my battery switch "ON" and my radio dial stays on even when off (clock), so it is drawing small amounts and a 2 amp charger has kept my batteries charged without screwing them up.

Also, think about a glass mat battery (yep they cost about $200) or gel cell instead of regular lead/acid battery-mine holds a charge and it's been two years and no issue; whereas, I always bought crummy Walmart batteries and after 1 year, they didn't hold a charge (sure, I took em back and got a new "free" one every year, but to me it aint worth the hassle or potential failure to start).
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

awesome!! thank you for the tip.
                        Originally posted by Flat Bottom
                        Golden Eagle Battery

(281) 331-9400
                        2105 N Gordon St
                        Alvin, TX 77511

This is the place to buy batteries, cheap!

Bought a reman glass mat battery for $50.00 plus $ 20.00 core charge, total of $ 70.00.
                        Yep $70..00 for a $200.00 battery.
                        Works great. I am going back to buy another.
                        He sells all makes of batteries wholesale!

Comment

you probably already know, but don't put your batteries to charge on cement. i did that, and they discharged real quick. the cement makes ground with batteries. lesson learned the hard way. i always charged mine separate. the new chargers can charge them both. don't know the name of it, but i've seen them on tournament boats. hope this helps. Lord Bless.
                          robert
                          And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

x2 on Golden Eagle, but the battery price has gone up just a little bit & still cheaper than new ones.
                            Today is a new day!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flat Bottom
                              Golden Eagle Battery

(281) 331-9400
                              2105 N Gordon St
                              Alvin, TX 77511

This is the place to buy batteries, cheap!

Bought a reman glass mat battery for $50.00 plus $ 20.00 core charge, total of $ 70.00.
                              Yep $70..00 for a $200.00 battery.
                              Works great. I am going back to buy another.
                              He sells all makes of batteries wholesale!
                              I just bought a pair a few months ago.

New price $70.00 + CORE and taxes. Be ready to pay $90 and some change.

They moved to:

Golden Eagle Btr Manufacturing Marketing Inc
                              20000 E Highway 6, Alvin, TX 77511
                              (281) 331-9400 () ‎

Comment

Working...
                              X