Kayak Purchase - Was it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Purchase - Was it worth it?

The plan is that me and a buddy are buying kayaks to reach the deeper water during the hotter months when we can't wade fish the day time (shallow and hot) and also to reach deeper water during the winter.

I'm just curious as to what you kayaker's would have done differently or the same when purchasing your yak if you would have known what you know now?
    What addons seem absolutely essential to fishing in yaks, etc.?

Thanks in advance and any more advice (thanks Jhua) on swaying us from purchasing the $175 pelican kayak's from academy would be much appreciated !
    I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Get a decent fish finder that details the bottom structure.
    Resident Ninja

Comment

Uber, I am absolutely the man to ask! DO NOT BUY A CHEAPO YAK! I have two and I never bother to take them out of the garage. It's just not worth it! They are major PITAs. A good kayak is a joy. At the very least, spring for a decent used one. TKF or AKC have lots of good ones posted. Don't buy til you try it!
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I have a Native Ultimate 14.5 - rigged as a single. I love it and the only thing I would change is that I should have bought it years earlier. I use it to fish areas I used to wade (Christmas/Drum Bays) and I use it to access areas I couldn't get to otherwise (south shoreline of East Bay across ICW). I really like marsh fishing and the yak really works well for me in that regard. I have small kids and the larger kayak gives me capacity to carry one with me without overtaxing the boat. I try to fish where waders can't wade and boats can't easily go - there is alot of good water out there that is almost kayaks/skiffs only, particular some of the back lakes and marshes (e.g. marsh lakes behind Blockade Runners)

As far as essentials, I keep it simple. Kayak, paddle, a good/comfortable PFD, a stake out stick. I prefer the stake out stick to an anchor - easier/faster to deploy and more useful for where I fish.

The Native works great for how I use it. If it was just me fishing (i.e. no kids along) I would look at a number of other options that include the Malibu X-Factor, Native Manta Ray, WS 140 among others.

I'm full of free advice if you need any help spending your $ on a boat.
        "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Thanks peeps!!
          I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Comment

My $.02------> Install a rudder! My only complaint on the Redfish14 is accessing the front storage hatch. It's waaaaaaay up there......ugh!

Comment

Anybody have any suggestions on make & model? I can only tell him what not to buy!

Comment

What kind did you buy Curmudgeon?

Comment

I can't remember the name. It's so bad that I must have blocked it from my memory!
                  It's a 9 1/2 foot SINK. It's like paddling a bathtub: It only moves while you're paddling and has very little sense of direction. There is no room to make any modifications or even a flat spot for a crate. It was, however, extremely cheap.

Comment

So I've narrowed it down to what NOT to buy (curmudgeon lol). No $175 pelican for me .

Maybe looking toward a hobie or tarpon? I know Jhua likes his so might have to save me some $$$ and find a used one!

Comment

Look at a wilderness yak.I have a perception and like it.I do wish it was wider its plenty long enough with a broken rudder.lol
                      I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Yeah if you want something wider and more stable don't get my Tarpon. They are narrow! It's good though to chase bait and birds cus it is FAST!
                        Resident Ninja

Comment

I have the WS commander 140 I think it is great. In the past I had a Ok Drifter it was a good kayak but if you needed to paddle a long way it was a pain compared to the commander. I also looked at the Hobie line of peddle kayaks before but most places i like to fish are shallow and figured that could be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by reeltime View Post
                            Look at a wilderness yak.I have a perception and like it.I do wish it was wider its plenty long enough with a broken rudder.lol
                            Looking at the commander as posted by Travis. Might just get it this week!

I was also wondering - which one would be good to install a turn around prop up seat? Or is that not very advisable in salt water? It's weird, I want a yak fast enough to get around long distances with - but one stable enough to install one of those seats! Not sure if this is possible!

PS - Used curmudgeon's bath tub budweiser sponsored Kayak - Lol. It wasn't nearly as bad as he made it out to be! I guess a young guy like me should be able to paddle a carboard box from all that surfing but I'm definitely going to grab me a yak!

Comment

Originally posted by ubermensch1324 View Post
                              Used curmudgeon's bath tub budweiser sponsored Kayak - Lol. It wasn't nearly as bad as he made it out to be! I guess a young guy like me should be able to paddle a carboard box from all that surfing but I'm definitely going to grab me a yak!
                              I think both youth and girth factor in! LOL!

Comment

Working...
                              X