Cleaning a Spinning Reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning a Spinning Reel

Due to the surf, I have a Shimano Sierra that is locking up a bit since it has been dunked in water. After every trip, I usually soak my reels in freshwater and then let them air dry. Even with that, the reel is locking up. How do I go about cleaning it? I am going to purchase some reel grease tomorrow as well as some lubricant. What else do I need? Do I just grease up the gears? I think the water has removed the grease which is why it is difficult to turn the handle. Any suggestions/ tips?
    Resident Ninja

sounds like a bad bearing(ARB) under the spool has locked up.
    Today is a new day!!

Comment

Rule number 1 do not use reel grease ever. Get you some speed x lube and some reel scrub. As to how to take it apart I've got no clue. Also I've been told sowing machine oil works great.
      75% Saltwater 5% led 20 % soft plastic 99% Alcohol 500% Fish stories = the make up of an angler.

Comment

the gears on a spinning reel need grease as does the drag washer.
        Today is a new day!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dawg View Post
          the gears on a spinning reel need grease as does the drag washer.
          I stand corrected then I was mis informed when I learned about general reel maint.
          75% Saltwater 5% led 20 % soft plastic 99% Alcohol 500% Fish stories = the make up of an angler.

Comment

You just use limited amounts of grease. When you do general maintenance you are basically cleaning up the grease that has spread an putting it back where it belongs.Try to you tube it. they have some great videos on cleaning reels
            Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

If u go on youtube they have some good videos on there to show u how to breakdown your reels its been very helpful to me and save me money at the same time.

Comment

I just want to say that I'm proud of the folks here. Guy asks about a spinning reel and nobody makes fun of him. I'm proud of y'all.

I use spinning almost exclusively, and I've never done any reel maintenance. I do not wade though, so that's the difference. I just rinse off the line and spray the reel's outside with WD-40 or reel scrubber. I had the same Mitchell 300 for almost 25 years and never opened it up. They don't make 'em like that anymore though. I guess there's no way to avoid opening them up if you wade.
                From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Nothing wrong with a good eggbeater! I've got an old Fin-Nor I like. They all get messy when you wade.
                  "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
                    I just want to say that I'm proud of the folks here. Guy asks about a spinning reel and nobody makes fun of him.
                    I'm sorry, it was late & did not even catch that it was a spinning reel.lol.
                    Today is a new day!!

Comment

Just cleaned and lubed everything and it is purring like a kitten. Thanks everyone!
                      Resident Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
                        I just want to say that I'm proud of the folks here. Guy asks about a spinning reel and nobody makes fun of him. I'm proud of y'all
                        I don't make fun of girls that fish no matter what they use and I ain't gonna start now. lol

Comment

Sounds like sand. It needs to be broke down and cleaned. You can usually find the reel maintenance documents on line if you don,t still have them.

Comment

Working...
                          X