468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trolling Motor Plug to Batteries Wire Gauge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling Motor Plug to Batteries Wire Gauge?

Fall is around the corner and I need to get the trolling motor hooked up so I can chase birds and troll the bayous. I purchased a new plug and will be buying a pair of batteries very soon. My question to you guys, is "what is the typical gauge of wire used to hook up the batteries to the trolling motor plug?" The batteries will be mounted below the front deck and wires will only have about 3.5-4ft to travel between the batteries and the plug. I tried reading up on this during the week and I realized I don't know squat about the properties of electricity. I got lost at volts dropped per foot and amps and blah blah blah.....

buoy

6 gauge with a 50 amp breaker, assuming you have a 24 volt TM. Make sure they are wired up correctly

Comment

Originally posted by mkk View Post
      6 gauge with a 50 amp breaker, assuming you have a 24 volt TM. Make sure they are wired up correctly

x2 on what MKK says

Comment

Originally posted by smooth move
        using the 24v system shown above, can you wire a radio 12v off one of the batteries?

Comment

6 ga can be overkill, what is the max amperage of the motor, wire size should be sized for 150% of max amps, 200% is overkill. With the distance you are running resistance/amp drop is not a real issue. the main thing is getting a GOOD connection to the plug, liquid electric tape all connections. Size your fuse for no more than 150% max current, I usually fuse for 125%, a 50a fuse will burn up your motor before she blows.

FYI: A 24v motor will draw less amps than a 12v motor of the same size, one of the main reasons for 24v on larger motors is to reduce wire size in the motor.
          -----------------------
          .~~~~ ~~~~~~~ www.saltwaterhooker.net

Comment

Wow Lori, you are a very smart lady! Your right,6 ga way overkill and a 50a fuse will burn components. Enjoined your post! Fish On!

Comment

We use 10 ga on all 12v and 24v with 15amp Quick Breaker or Max Amp Draw the Manufacture Recommends. On 36v we use 8 ga. and 15amp Quick Breakers or Max Amp Draw the Manufacture Recommends.
              Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
              (AKA Evans Marine Services)
              4340 19th St.
              Bacliff, Texas 77518
              http://evansmarine.net
              http://boatwerxtx.com
              main@boatwerxtx.com
              281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

70# Minn Kota 24v volt trolling motor has a max amp draw of 42 amps. You can't overkill on wire size when your on the water, just melt wires or maybe have a fire. Wire it once with #6 and check the max amp draw for your TM and fuse it accordingly

Comment

I understand the further you run the wires, the heavier gague you want.

Also, I fried my plug recently, and realized my 15 amp, in line circut breaker had gone bad.

I bought a good Minn Kota Circut breaker for $40, and it mounts on center consule on the inside ....

For good componets, go to gulf coast trolling motor at FTU on 45 south
                  FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Actually as you go up in voltage the wire size and amperage should go down if power is constant. Ever notice the power company High Voltage lines, they are high voltage 240Kv to reduce wire size and cable resistance loss. If they were 120 V the wire would be 12+" in diameter.

The problem with going to larger wire sizes is getting a good connection on connectors. If crimping use a crimping tool, pliers will not get a good connection, use Electrical grease for all connections to help prevent corrosion. Soldering is not recommended because the the solder has a tendency to corrode. 99% of all electical fires are caused by the connection.
                    -----------------------
                    .~~~~ ~~~~~~~ www.saltwaterhooker.net

Comment

All yall enjoy your burnt wires and plugs . My kayak and paddle never fails. Later! Fish On!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Game 57 View Post
                        All yall enjoy your burnt wires and plugs . My kayak and paddle never fails. Later! Fish On!
                        like to see you paddle that thing from 2004 to Hall's lake.....lol
                        Kumala the Ugandan giant

Comment

Originally posted by evansmarine View Post
                          We use 10 ga on all 12v and 24v with 15amp Quick Breaker or Max Amp Draw the Manufacture Recommends. On 36v we use 8 ga. and 15amp Quick Breakers or Max Amp Draw the Manufacture Recommends.
                          there it is. gonna rewire my tm 36v with 8 guage in the next few days. you guys are smart and willing to do it on your own. PAID someone to do it in May and having to re-do it myself. Bunch of problems came along with it as well. There are only a few places I trust now and one is Evans Marine.

Comment

Working...
                          X