Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you work your jig for trout?

What I do:
    95% of the time I do the twitch twitch pause method and reel in the slack quickly so I can feel the the strike, as the fish usually hits it on the fall. I vary the retrieve speed and depth in the water column until something starts working. Sometimes I do a straight retrieve when fishing birds, but this seems to just attract the smaller, more energetic fish. The quality fish seem to be deeper.

Just curious what everyone else does....
    XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

When working birds and slicks I let the lure sit for one or two seconds and work it quick in covering the entire water column as I'm pulling it back to the boat.

Working while wading I usually bounce the bottom. With a twitch pause twitch pause. If there biting on my twitch I will work a couple twitches with a pause until I find the best bite.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I am really starting to dig 1/16oz jigheads, they (at least in my mind) make the tail fall slowly and more naturally looking. Although with all this wind I may start using 1/8oz heads to keep better contact with the jig.

The retrieve I do is I first reel in the slack while lowering my rod tip to 2 o'clock or so. I then jerk the lure up into the water column at a medium speed by raising my rod tip to 12 o'clock. I don't whip it up hard like most people, but just fast enough to get the tail up there. Here's where most of the strikes come... I then lower my rod tip while slowly reeling in the slack. The lure is staying in one place at this time while falling slowly, and I'm reeling just enough to keep in contact with the tail. Two or three times as the tail is falling I'll put a tiny twitch in the bait, just a little pop that takes the bend out to the line. Once the tail hits the bottom, or gets close if you're in a snaggy area, repeat.

I try to visualize what the lure is doing in my head, and make it look as appetizing as possible

Comment

Yeah I like the 1/16 jigs too, especially if I'm fishing shallow water like in the back of the coves.

Comment

I fish with 1/8 or 1/4 depending on the wind and tidal movement.
          I just vary my retrieve until I find one that works. I don't throw 1/16 very often except in the winter when they want something really slow.
          sigpic
          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

When the lure hits the water I let it sink for a few second the put a short pop to it, then I real it 3 to 4 times then bump it twice, both short pops then reel again 3 to 4 times and pop it once, then back to twice. Depending on how they want the action fast or slow will vary my retrieval speed. I normally use 1/8 jig heads

Comment

Water temps and clarity plays a roll alot of times on my retreives. Most of the time just a slow to moderate 1 hop retreives works well for me. Water temps below 60 degrees will definatly require a slow retreive in most cases. But I have seen time in the winter where a fast retreive will work. Muddy water I like a slow retreive too along with a dark or black bait.
              I kinda play with my retreive. I will generally start off with my standard 1 hop then after 10 cast speed it up, maybe double hop the bait, or add slight pauses between hops. The key is to experiment to success is found then duplicate.
              I only own 2 leads heads.1/8 ounce generally produces all year long, but when the Trout seem real finicky I like to switch to a 1/16 ounce lead head. Alot of times in the winter a 1/16 ounce lead head does better. Keeps the bait in the stike zone a little longer.
              1 trick I do quit a bit is take a soldering iron and melt more lead off of a 1/16 ounce lead head and make it even lighter. This is great in the winter time over shell too, less hangups.

AQUA PIMP
              AQUA PIMP......
              "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Listen to tha pimp!

Comment

I use 1/8 and 1/16 heads equally it seems depending a lot on the same things the Pimp said. 1/16 more in the winter and spring and 1/8 in the late spring, summer and fall. However if I think there are fish in an area and nothing seems to be working I'll change head sizes. A lot of times that is just the trick as it gives the bait the movement they like.

Most of the time my action on the retreive is the same, short twitch, short twitch, pause then long twitch, pause. I vary how hard or fast the twitch are and the length of the pauses till I find what is working.
                  Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

Yeh ,about the same as all yall a slow retreive with some hops in ther tell you get the strike,and try to remmemer what you were doing when she hit it...lol
                    10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Working...
                    X