Gigging rays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigging rays

I have read that sting rays frequent the same areas we look for flounder. Has anyone accidentally gigged a ray, or had to do so for protection? I'm obviously wading.

I have been lucky not to see one yet, so what do you do when you come across one?

Avoid it. That or if possible kinda slip the gig under him so he'll take off without me having to poke him.
    Yeah, and all the muchachas they call me big pappa, when I throw pesos their way!

Comment

I find that the rays will usually spook because of the light or movement while a flounder will lay still... Don't go on this of course but when I am walking I usually find that the rays will lift off & move. Flounder NEVER or hardly every move. Heck I can measure them before gigging if I need to.
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Most of the time when they see you, they will slowly swim away. If they won't, then walk around them. If that doesn't work lightly push them away. The last thing you want to do is gig them. They will muddy up the water.....then you can't see them and you have a pissed of ray to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by Root Canal View Post
          Most of the time when they see you, they will slowly swim away. If they won't, then walk around them. If that doesn't work lightly push them away. The last thing you want to do is gig them. They will muddy up the water.....then you can't see them and you have a pissed of ray to deal with.
          x2...
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Bad ju-ju to gig rays, unless you need shark bait. I just let them go the other way.

Comment

I stepped on one once. It didn't move and I didn't see him. I was lucky it didn't try to barb me. At first I thought it was a flounder but when I pointed the light in his mud trail I could clearly see it was a ray. Like others have said, they almost always will move away but every now and then some will come right towards you're light. That's when you learn to dance away from they're incoming path and use the gig to sho them into a new direction but this is rare to happen.
              I like my boat more and more every year.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
              Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

I don't disturb them unless I can't walk around em. I dont mess with you you dont mess with me. Usually if Im not seeing rays Im not seeing flounder. A slight nudge and they will skate.

Comment

I remember one time we saw 40 + rays in a very small area during mating season. We found 2 large flounders in the area, but it got really bad when we got boxed in by 6 or 7 rays. That's when we poke them and try get back onto land.
                  Resident Ninja

Comment

My nightmare. Guess I'll be back to the uncomfortable ray guards. Reason 132 to take the plunge and buy a boat.

Comment

If they are large enough, I will gig them and bring them home to eat...dang good eating too.

Comment

Working...
                      X