In the Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the Hunt

As luck would have it my Garmin GPS has bit the dust, actually it's just the color is messed up. Impossible to read, it is a Garmin 172C. It is my 2nd one and both have done the same, could be b/c I left the cover off for a few days or could be from accidentally hitting it with the power washer. Now this is over a period of 3 yrs between each one I'd say.. I thinking the Sun, Butt...?

Anyways, was wondering what’s on your dash. I really like the Garmin’s, seems more people friendly. I'm heading to retirement soon, so I wanting to spend only around $600 tops. Color screens are cool but hard to see in the sun to me.
    Input is appreciated

wd

I have a garmin 440 and really like it.

Comment

I'm older and need a bigger screen than the 400 series, so I'm leaning toward a Garmin 541s $650. with transducer and maps already loaded or a 546s which is $200. more but has superior screen resolution. By the way screens have come a long way from the 172C. You'll see it fine!
      Your transducer power/data cord probably will screw right into a new unit so each unit would be cheaper if you use your old transducer. Mine is fried! lol
      I get my electronics exclusively from www.gpsdiscount.com They have the best prices. Email or call 'em for even better prices.
      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Probably the sun cooked it-had that happen to my Lowrance and also lost the digital speedo on my 4 wheeler-just a black blob instaed of read out.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
          Probably the sun cooked it-had that happen to my Lowrance and also lost the digital speedo on my 4 wheeler-just a black blob instaed of read out.
          Yep, I'm thinking the same too. Didn't tell the wife about not covering it up but I think she's on to me b/c thats what she saw on the 1st one and told me "hey aren't you suppose to keep that covered up" duh yeah and then..

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
            I'm older and need a bigger screen than the 400 series, so I'm leaning toward a Garmin 541s $650. with transducer and maps already loaded or a 546s which is $200. more but has superior screen resolution. By the way screens have come a long way from the 172C. You'll see it fine!
            Your transducer power/data cord probably will screw right into a new unit so each unit would be cheaper if you use your old transducer. Mine is fried! lol
            I get my electronics exclusively from www.gpsdiscount.com They have the best prices. Email or call 'em for even better prices.
            Yes Sir, I've used them before. and Yes I too need a bigger screen, the old eyes aren't what they used to be.

Thanks to all, for your input..

wd

Comment

I've got the 541 (no 's') and am happy with it. Really has more functionality than I'll ever use. The screen seems big enough, until I get off my buddies 30 footer with twin 12" Raymarine screens. ("Are we fishing or playing video games?")
              Given the low cost of automotive GPS navigation these days, I keep thinking the price will come down on these units.

Comment

As long as you put marine in the name manufacturers are allow to increase the price by 300%.
                -----------------------
                .~~~~ ~~~~~~~ www.saltwaterhooker.net

Comment

I have seen ttu waders garmin 440 an it is a good gps....have seen the 541s they r good....depends on what screen size u want....I have the 640 for screen size but as well as the road map capabilities it has...hope it helps!
                  Don't follow my boat......I don't catch fish......

Comment

Working...
                  X