4/10/09 report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4/10/09 report

Well the weather liars got it wrong again. It was dead calm this morning and I slept in until 7:30. Motored into the bay about 8:30 and headed for some shell on the North shoreline.
    It was a little foggy, but very fishy as I slipped into the thigh deep water. I started throwing the new mirrolure tops which are small with a subtle rattle because it was so still, but no takers.
    I switched to rootbeer/red glitter BA's on 1/16 oz. jig and caught the first fish, 5# trout on the next cast (a little more about this fish later). Then I had two 4#ers in a row then nothing for about 30 minutes. I worked shallow toward the shoreline and cast to some activity near the grassline and had a big hit. I'm thinking Redfish, but it turned out to be a 5 1/2# trout.
    On the way back to the boat I tricked the only fish on top. A 3#er finally took my Skitterwalk after several slaps and some very long pauses.

Now about the 5# fish. She put up a good fight, but I was finally able to get her with the Boga. She was hooked in the jaw but the jig came right out without any blood. When I released her she slowly moved forward then rolled on her back. I got her back upright and worked to revive her some. She finally kicked and I let go. She seemed to take on off pretty good. Later when I was landing another fish I look across the water and see this big tail waving out of the water. Sure enough it was the trout I had released belly-up. I tried two more times to get her going, but she was just to weak.
    I don't get what happened exactly. She wasn't wounded, but was gravid with eggs, and I guess that and the stress just killed her.
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Good report, thanks. Too bad about the #5 fish, but it happens from time to time. Not a bad day on the wter overall, good work Kenny!
    "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Release into the grease!

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
        Release into the grease!
        Haha, thats a good one!
        "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

nice catch... i knew when i got up this morning today would be good, too bad i couldnt get out...
          Boats and hoes.

Comment

Great report Kenny! Nice day on the. Water for sure!
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Nice job Kenny!!!! I was on the north shoreline aswell yesterday, more towards Alligator Point. There was some good fish down around those shell pads. We had a few fish and I lost 2 solid fish in the 5lb range. I could have used a little more wind though. I always struggle in "no wind" conditions. Fat Boys was a freak'n zoo yesterday!

AQUA PIMP
              AQUA PIMP......
              "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                Well the weather liars got it wrong again. It was dead calm this morning and I slept in until 7:30. Motored into the bay about 8:30 and headed for some shell on the North shoreline.
                It was a little foggy, but very fishy as I slipped into the thigh deep water. I started throwing the new mirrolure tops which are small with a subtle rattle because it was so still, but no takers.
                I switched to rootbeer/red glitter BA's on 1/16 oz. jig and caught the first fish, 5# trout on the next cast (a little more about this fish later). Then I had two 4#ers in a row then nothing for about 30 minutes. I worked shallow toward the shoreline and cast to some activity near the grassline and had a big hit. I'm thinking Redfish, but it turned out to be a 5 1/2# trout.
                On the way back to the boat I tricked the only fish on top. A 3#er finally took my Skitterwalk after several slaps and some very long pauses.

Now about the 5# fish. She put up a good fight, but I was finally able to get her with the Boga. She was hooked in the jaw but the jig came right out without any blood. When I released her she slowly moved forward then rolled on her back. I got her back upright and worked to revive her some. She finally kicked and I let go. She seemed to take on off pretty good. Later when I was landing another fish I look across the water and see this big tail waving out of the water. Sure enough it was the trout I had released belly-up. I tried two more times to get her going, but she was just to weak.
                I don't get what happened exactly. She wasn't wounded, but was gravid with eggs, and I guess that and the stress just killed her.

YOU SEARAPING TROUT MOLESTOR! .......Nice job my friend!

How's the new motor running?
                Don't be a Nancy!
                If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

New motor's running fine, but I think it's mounted a hole too low. We'll get that fixed when I take it in for the 10 hour check/rip-off!
                  Monte, let's go do some more trout catching. I'm off every afternoon.......
                  "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Great report! To bad about the 5er, but it wares her time to, like Milkjug said, get released in gease.
                    Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

Great report Kenny. Just goes to show you how a little stress can wear on a pregnant woman. I know I have been through a few of those stressful time myself!
                      sigpic
                      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

nice report Kenny
                        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Nice catching
                          NK
                          Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Did what you could, no foul. Good report Kenny
                            Scott
                            "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Sounded like some nice fish Kenny...
                              "Anything worth doing is worth doing right"

Comment

Working...
                              X