Stuck Surf Rod Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Surf Rod Problem

A friend of mine is moving so he gave me an old 10' surf rod. It's a 2 piece rod, but it's stuck together. Any ideas on how to get it apart? I thought about spraying the joint with WD40 or silicone spray to loosen it up but I don't know if it will denature the rod.
    Suggestions?
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

If the joint is metal, you probably now have a one-piece rod.

If the joint is fiberglass, you should be able to get it apart. Let the joint get good and wet by wrapping it with a cloth and let water drip on it for a few hours.

Then, get someone else. Stand opposite each other with the rod between you. Each of you place one hand on each side of the joint - just as if you were taking it apart all by your self. Do NOT put your hands around the guides. Both of you then pull. Two people pulling should be able to separate the sections.
    Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
    and
    Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

Thanks, Walker. The joint is fiberglass. The only reason I want to separate it is that my car isn't long enough to put it into. It's too long to even hang it out of the window!
      I'll try the water & rag trick. I'm actually afraid if we do pull it apart that one of us will fall down and break it in half!
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
      X