Great day of fly fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great day of fly fishing

Spent the day on the water yesterday with Marcos Enriquez and Tobin from Trout Support. We had near perfect conditions early, with very light North and Northeast winds. Water clarity was good in most areas to slightly dirty in others. I ran the boat up on the first flat and immediately spooked two reds. It was a slow start, with low light and no tails, but got progressively better as the day wore on. We started seeing singles and picking them off at close range on a new shrimp fly I have been perfecting. As the light got better we started seeing some muds and then several pods of tailing fish. We got some great footage of tails, pods, cruising fish, and even a couple of backs out of the water. Landed 9 or 10 total reds on fly and even a trout to top it off.

Looking forward to seeing the edited video footage, there should be some very cool shots of the fish eating. Had them pretty fired up about about a seaducer. I think we got 3 separate reds that exploded on the fly as it came over them! Three different times during the morning I poled the boat up to within 15-20 feet of schools of tailing fish, then let Marcos give them a slight stinging sesation. The only thing missing was the laid up fish and the truly flagging tailers that Ihad been seeing. I had to cut out early and we quit fishing at 2. Would have been nice to finish out the afternoon when the tide really got low. We also got a chance to demonstrate some fly casting in the wind, as it picked up to near 20 by late morning.

Thanks again for letting me help Tobin! Can't wait to see what we filmed.

Sorry no Pics, but I let Tobin do all the filming and picture taking today.

Captain Steve
    http://www.theshallowist.com

Great report. That will really get the blood going. Can't wait to see the footage.
    "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Shallowist--Haven't been flyfishing since I moved back to Texas. Looks like you are the authority. Got any location suggestions? Got a 18' flats boat and am fishing the bays. I'm Jonesin' here!
      Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
      "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Sounds nice. WTG Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Termo View Post
          Shallowist--Haven't been flyfishing since I moved back to Texas. Looks like you are the authority. Got any location suggestions? Got a 18' flats boat and am fishing the bays. I'm Jonesin' here!
          You should consider booking a trip with him.

Comment

Did not know he was a guide-no wonder he is so successful. DUH!! Going to his website now. Thanks!
            Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
            "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Termo,

Lots of good areas along the upper coast. Your boat or your feet will be the deciding factor on what is accessible to you. Be happy to show you around.

Here's the only fish that I photographed yesterday.
              Attached Files
              http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

You gotta love it when things come together and you get to beat up on them !
                skiffstiff

Comment

Working...
                X