Seriously....this is a bad day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously....this is a bad day.

So while i was in Titlum Tatlum this morning fishing at the mouth were it emptys into christmas for a while, decided to move. I had my dad and my uncle (both 200+ lbs) on the boat with me, granted my boat will get up on plane in about 7-8'' with just me on there. Started idling along getting situated to move, went to get on plane and my dad and uncle are sitting in the back with me, boat bogs down in mud, cut the motor to the right, raised the jack plate, trimmed it up and hammered down on it.....started to get out of the mud and before i knew it my boat was doing a 360 to the right while i was steering to the left....yeah the steering wheel isnt supposed to keep spinning around and around without the motor turning LOL! Come to find out the cable for my steering snapped inside the boat. STRANDED....my dad decided to use the trolling motor to get us in deeper water, as soon as he threw the trolling motor in reverse..the prop came off the trolling motor.....long story short we had to hand steer the boat and creep back to the ramp in christmas. What a day!
    Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway.
    John Wayne.

That's a "new to you boat" isn't it? Stuff like that happens to everyone sooner or later. I've come in from offshore leaning on a 2X4 shoved into the linkage before, and been towed in too.
    I have some suggestions. Next time idle to deeper water, and if you "bog down" redistribute the weight or have someone get out of the boat until you're in deeper water. You're not in that much of a hurry. Hammering down is not always the answer, but it is a good way to spin a prop. Ask me how I know? LOL
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

At least you've got a sense of humor about it! Bad news is you have two people to constantly remind you of your adventure.
      "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Ugh! Sometimes I feel luck I don't have a boat!
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Dude you got lucky. Imagine what would have happened if you had it pinned cutting across the bay and that cable broke. At best y'all would have been swimming with the boat going the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by Shortystillsurfs View Post
            Dude you got lucky. Imagine what would have happened if you had it pinned cutting across the bay and that cable broke. At best y'all would have been swimming with the boat going the other way.
            Yep I have done that before the bolt that controls the steering to the motor broke tossed me out the boat beached itself luckily and I swam to it busted and disgusted and lucky to be alive!!
            MANVEL MOB

Comment

Lucky you all stayed in the boat!!! Another reason to make sure you have your kill switch attached to you.
              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by corndog View Post
                lucky you all stayed in the boat!!! Another reason to make sure you have your kill switch attached to you.
                x1000000000000000000
                MANVEL MOB

Comment

Yeah its a new boat to me. I decided to take a better look at it today and seen the cable that goes into the steering on the motor was ate away all corroded and stuff. Time to take it to Perkin's marine! Im glad it didnt snap coming from the old ICW into cold pass cause i was getting it pretty good through there. Just wish i knew who all of you would be out there on certain days that way i can give a ring and have a tow in just in case! I think alvin needs other marine shops instead of 2!!!! Here goes a grand
                  John Wayne.

Comment

A grand?? For a cable and helm?

Comment

I figure with labor and parts. I like perkins marine dont get me wrong but those mom and pops places are a wee bit high on price. BUT! they beat big corporations. Im also getting a different prop for better whole shot, new fuel lines, new cable, trolling motor stuff, lower unit go through. Oh BTW if any of yall Alvinights see a white dodge 1500 with a Strike Pro, American Rodsmiths, and Saltwater Soul decals on the back winder' give me a shout thats me!
                      John Wayne.

Comment

So im not the only one with the bad mojo this weekend...I feel for ya bro

Comment

Boating,not just pleasure but an adventure
                          Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Welcome to the club-it's not very exclusive-I think we all are members and not one of us asked to join it!! We all have sheeit happen to the dang boats-You are doing more to benefit the Economy than Obama!!!
                            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Boat... break out another thousand. Been there, done that. Hope you get her fixed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X