Skunked, overnight 9/24-25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skunked, overnight 9/24-25

Left Freeport on Saturday at 2pm with my brother Derek, Steve (sfef84), and Grant Lutz from the Justified. We ran straight to west cerveza. Planned on heading out to the dump for some daytime swordfishing, but there was a 10 mile wide storm cell stalled out over our spot. So we had to detour to East Cerveza, trolled natural spread for a little while and missed two wahoo. The storm finally passed through, so we made it out to our daytime swordfishing spot, 103 miles offshore. First drop we get hooked up on a nice sword, fishing the bottom in nearly 2000ft of water, but we ended pulling the hook right before dark. We set up for some night time swordfishing once the sun set. We had one bait get wacked, but didn't get tight. Around 2am the wind started blowing about 20 knots, seas picked up to 3ft. At sunrise, the seas had picked up to 4-6ft with the occasional 8ft, so we decided to head to the house. It got pretty hairy in the outrage, considering that is only 24ft LOA, but we aren't scared. We will be back out there soon to get some revenge on those swords.
    Last edited by RSN; September 25, 2011, 09:33 PM.

Go back & get 'em!
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Robert; sorry the one sword pulled free. I bet it was quite a ride back in 8' seas!!! Ouch my back. Hope to see you and Derek around-looking forward to your next report.
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Careful boys!!
        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Jerry- I have some videos of the seas. Trying to post it

Comment

It was rough FO SHO... he forgot to ad that we almost got run over by tankers at 1 AM. There was no moon to light the night and was so dark that you couldnt fund the horizon if you tried. When it got to 3 miles, we could finally make out the lights and saw Green, White, Red and were freaked out. We had three lines out and be the time we crossed paths, the tanker was < 1/4 mi from us. The tanker didnt answer the radio or sound his fog horns.

Also forgot to mention... it took us 9 HOURS to get back to Surfside Marina because of the beam/following seas. The swells were actually breaking the entire time and went down/up swells that were a couple feet higher than the T-top. NASTAY!

Comment

Be carefull
              10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

it actually got a lot worse than this...

Comment

No thanks!! Too rough for my old back. Thanks for the vid Robert.
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Sorry about the skunk Robert
                    Captain Glenn Stevens
                    Coastal Guide Service
                    www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                      No thanks!! Too rough for my old back. Thanks for the vid Robert.

Jerry, Derek and I want you to come on a trip sometime this fall. Just go out for a 12-16 hour trip (daytime swords and tilefish). The hydraulic steering pump went out on the outrage, so we are going to be on-the-hill for a little while. But let's hope that we get some ice cream conditions so we can make a trip. We will bring bean bags and plenty of light beer. We always carry a water activated EPIRB, theSPOT check-in/tracker, handheld VHF, 36-mile radar, etc. The thunderstorms and rough seas put a damper on our daytime swordfishing this past trip, but we got hooked up on the only drop we made. We ripped part of the swordfish's bottom jaw off, it came up with the hook. It won't be long until we are dialed in on those daytimers.

Comment

Count me IN!!! That'd be GREAT! Now I'm laughing-I always yell at my buddies-"You'll rip it's lips off-quit horsin it!" To get a jaw off a sword may be worth mounting it!

My Robalo is down-dang port motor!! I need a trailer (mine's rotten pretty much) to get it to Bryan Evans (ECU, Stator or Fuel Pump). Plus I tore the starboard motor's water pressure line near the pisser, so it's splashing saltwater all over the inside of the cowling. Arrggghhhh!! Skeeter's working fine though-let's go nail some trout before deer season!!

Comment

Jerry, you're welcome to take a look at our outrage trailer and see if it would work with the Robalo. And yea, we're bound to get some good conditions at some point this fall.....we wanna be the first ones to bring a swordfish into SLP.

Comment

I may take you up on that-Bryan may have one also-need to time it with Bryan so no one is out a trailer for more than a week.

may see you all this weekend-oldest brother and his wife are in, so a lot of family stuff (we will take the Grady out probably -but I'll likely use my skeeter)-hope to see you around.

Comment

Working...
                            X