Merc, Yami, or Evinrude.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merc, Yami, or Evinrude.....

All around best one for a 115? Opinions and facts welcomed!
    Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway.
    John Wayne.

Are you looking to get a 2 or a 4 stroke?
    Today is a new day!!

Comment

I would not buy a Merc. Have twin 115s-some parts that are critical are plastic clips. Go with yamaha and pay the extra $.
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I have a 94 Yami 90, i want a new 90 or 115. My ol' man has a 09' 115 4 stroke mercury on his boat and that things pretty good, but seems to have NO power. I was thinking a 90 Optimax for the haynie, or a 90 E-Tech. I'm also looking for a lighter weight motor for my draft, that way the draft doesnt change. does anyone know how much a 90's model 90 horse yami weighs? I'd like to know for comparison on the new one.
        John Wayne.

Comment

Originally posted by RedfishAssassin View Post
          I have a 94 Yami 90, i want a new 90 or 115. My ol' man has a 09' 115 4 stroke mercury on his boat and that things pretty good, but seems to have NO power. I was thinking a 90 Optimax for the haynie, or a 90 E-Tech. I'm also looking for a lighter weight motor for my draft, that way the draft doesnt change. does anyone know how much a 90's model 90 horse yami weighs? I'd like to know for comparison on the new one.
          The Yamaha 90HP outboard from 1985-1995 weighed 223lbs, the new Optimax 75-90-115 and 125 all weigh 375lbs.

Gater

Comment

1994 is not very old-those yam 90's last forever and are easily rebuilt (simple 3 cylinder)-probably for $2k you can get re-bored and sleeved with new pistons. I'm somewhat lost as to why dump a 94 yammie to spend $5-6K+ on a new motor (my boat lost in Ike had a 1986 90hp 'rude and I had 2 powerheads done over 22 years and it ran strong and was still pretty dependable-I bet it had 3500+ hours on it at least-and I never did the lower unit except normal maintenance). Why are you dumping it for a new motor?
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

IMO run from a Merc and pick a rude or Yammie.I would keep what u got till it kicks the proverbial bucket.
              I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Im not for sure getting one, i just wanna know what to get when the time comes. I love my yami, its just super freaking LOUD. Oh i was going to call you chris but the girlfriend wanted to go do stuff and i fer'got. Me and the ol' man wanna go fishing soon he said to hollar at you and get you to tag along!
                John Wayne.

Comment

Hows the hot-tub?How much longer before we call you Father?
                  I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Hot tub is good, havent gotten in it yet but its running good. And 3 more months, this is a boy ive got a 16 month old daughter as well. Shes my little Irish bonnet . December 15th is her due date.
                    John Wayne.

Comment

I have a 92 115 yammerhoe, and it has been a great motor. Definitely would buy another one. Don't like the black boogers but to each his own. The only one we had caught fire and that has left a bad taste in my mouth.
                      Scott
                      "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Originally posted by reeltime View Post
                        IMO run from a Merc and pick a rude or Yammie.I would keep what u got till it kicks the proverbial bucket.
                        reeltime dont run from my merc 115 optimax. he is always trying to get in my boat. LOL Im pushin a 20'er and it is nice on the fuel consumption. I think all the newer motors are good units. Technology has come a long way for outboards. If I was to by a new one it would be an e-tec.
                        Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

the etech has some get up and go

Comment

I was brought up an Evinrude boy. Then I had a Merc and it was great until it blew up, so I got a Mariner (Merc) to replace it, sold the boat and it blew up on Corndog. These were late 90's motors though. So I don't know how true that is to what's out now. I have a Yammie now and I like it. If I was to go new, I'd go with an E-Tec. But I'll never buy a new motor. Too many good used units out there. I say get yours rebuilt by Renny Hardwick in Alvin. He's a Yammie artist. PM me if you want his contact info. If it was a Rude or a Merc, I'd send you to Gregr1971 here on the board. New motors are like new cars. All pretty and new smell, but it wears off, and the depreciation is KILLER.
                            From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

My Yam's have served me well
                              Fishwhisperer

Comment

Working...
                              X