what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do

i put a evinrude 40hp short shaft on my aluminum boat and it cavitates,would putting a jack plate on my boat cure the problem and if not what should i do short of selling the motor and getting a long shaft motor

How high up is the cavitation plate on motor from bottom of the boat? Got some pics?
    Today is a new day!!

Comment

no i dont have any pics right now,but in the morning i will take some and post them

Comment

Is it flatbottom.If so short shaft should be what you want.Is your prop in good shape.Bad prop will make it cavitate.

Comment

I dont think a jack plate would make much of a difference because the motor alone is usually as low as a jack plate all the way down will go. Get a big cavitation plate from Stiffy. I've got a homemade one on my boat thats big like the stiffy one and i dont cavitate at all!
          Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway.
          John Wayne.

Comment

In my experience, if the cav plate is within 2 inches of the bottom of your boat, you shouldn't have that problem. I'd check the prop first. An enlarged cav plate can make a big difference though.
            From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Get a long shaft?
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

thanks guys for all the help,but to answer your questions,the prop is only a 1/2 inch to maybe a inch under the boat and i checked the prop to see if it was loose and it wasnt,how do i get in touch with Stiffy,i will check and see where the cavitation plate sits,i took a long shaft off because i was always hitting the bottom in semi shallow places

Comment

oh i forgot to mention that have pontoons on the back,does this make a difference yalls answers

Comment

Originally posted by abudude View Post
                    thanks guys for all the help,but to answer your questions,the prop is only a 1/2 inch to maybe a inch under the boat
                    From the bottom or top of the prop?
                    Today is a new day!!

Comment

Any pics?
                      Today is a new day!!

Comment

Are the pods 100% sealed? You could see if adding weight in the stern helps the motor & causes less cavitation.
                        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

the top of the prop

Comment

A picture is worth a thousand words.
                            From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

sorry guys i have been really busy at work and havent taken any pics,but i will asap....the pods are sealed are at least no water comes out of them when i loaded it back on the trailer

Comment

Working...
                              X