Galveston Jetty's 9/29/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galveston Jetty's 9/29/11

I know this is a late report...lol. 7:30 am departing out of Texas City Dike. Wind's varying between 5-10MPH Vic(BullyARed)and I headed into the ship channel encountering rollers mid ways out averaging 2's and 3's. Running in between 30 in the beginning then had to throttle down quick to avoid the over the Bow wash...lol Could not help coming down hard once or twice. At this point we were at the 3/4 of the way out..when I decide to look back as always. To see my kicker hanging upside down..prop up. ..Whoa..!,so I grab the motor as Vic assists me. We pull the motor back aboard the boat as Vic ties it down. I put her in forward and we are back underway.Now I am glad I did not loose that great running 15 Evinrude into the drink.
    As we approach the end of the jetty's,the water out for some distance was muddy as brown gets. I head over past the south jetty maybe to find some bait..or just to get a game plan going. The forecast as usual was off a bit...lol. We decide after drifting a bit casting out some spoons. To make a move over to the N jetty. I fire up the motor..we are back underway..through some brown arse churned up waters. Instead of going slow strait across. I decide to go W and go through the cut. We get to the cut as I go through with some caution for it was rippin on the N side. We run out 3/4's of the way and find a spot and anchor. Nothing really impressive at this location. Just some small(baby)spinners. Then Vic put a nice smack in the cooler. One better then none. Some croakers..lots of sandies. I start the motor as Vic pulls the anchor Underway again,we go out towards the Buoy. I decied to make a drift..ya cant go wrong drift fishing. Funny..how I was telling Vic,you can nail em drift fishing. Then slam..fish on!...as my Penn 950 SSm starts screamin..as the fish jumps at least 1'1/2 out of the water. I told Vic we have to chase this fish. Vic started the boat and we gave chase. The fish jumps a few more times. We only saw the fish from about..oh' 50yards back. Almost looked like a small tuna..lol. As about 15mins into the fight..this was a very strong fish. I finally got some line back on the reel..a few pumps I had a nice spinner. almost as big as the one in my profile pic. Vic was ready with the gaff..though this shark was not going to give up easily. The fish made five or more good runs..before I could wear him down and bring him into the gaff zone..lol. Vic takes a good shot and gaffs him..aboard the boat...for a quick pic..then I cut him open gutted let bleed out over the transom. Give the shark a quick clean rinse w/fresh water. Then put him on ice...
    Then it was off for some inshore fishin over at Seawolf Park..we anchored out 35 yards from the pier on the E side of it. We fished that area hooking some sandies and croakers. We decided after a while..to call it and head back in. All in all it was good at least there were two fish in the box. Which is better then none.
    Note:That shark was dead..could not see in the pic.
    I Clubbed that shark to death..lol..
    Friday(9/30/11 turned out to be a calm flat water day..go figure.
    More to this..Careless Boaters
    We had stopped at the cut..Dang I should have taken pic's..But...Anyway were sitting there trying to nail a spec or smack. We see this boat on the other side(Channel)side and the guys in the boat are pretty close to the rocks. I thought as I looked over at Vic. Man we are probably are going to have to save there arses. They are waving over at another boat on the channel side. I pull the anchor and head over as the other boat gets in close to these guys. I was ready with Vic manning the rope ..preparing to tow them to safety. They had the anchor line wrapped up good around the prop. The other boat had already thrown them a line..beginning to pull them away from the rocks. Good deal I thought...as I always say. You have to remain alert at all times.
    Last edited by REELING 65; October 7, 2011, 12:07 AM. Reason: Pic should be on the bottom
    They like shiny spoons...
Working...
X