The Flounder Whisperer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Flounder Whisperer

Took a buddy who had never been gigging out to give it a try.

The first fish he found was an undersized. Sometimes for the heck of it, I try to slip my hand under them and get them to "nest" on it. The most I've gotten is one halfway on before it bolts. Well, I tell him to try it out, and he gets the thing to sit on his hand completely! Then to top it off, he manages to lift it out of the water! It never even flipped a fin. We had it out for a minute or so, and put it back in when it started flaring its gills. It just settled back down and never bolted.

I found a nice 18"er, and was gonna have him gig it, but he ended up trying to get the gig too close and tapped it first. At least he won't be spoiled and we will get some next time!

Nice. I am 0 for 10 on grabbing them.

Comment

Haha nice! I'm going to get out there gigging after the redfish tournament!
      Resident Ninja

Comment

You need to take him gigging in november. I think that would be legal.

Comment

He will probably be too busy dumping milo and corn in the bays in preparation for duck season

Comment

Way cool, neverknew that, but really never tried either!!!

Comment

Cool trick!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
              Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Originally posted by Shortystillsurfs View Post
                You need to take him gigging in november. I think that would be legal.
                You would think so but the rule is well writen. Rod and reel only. I got stopped by a game warden last year while poling along the shore in November with a rod in my hand a net leaning up against the railing and my push pole in my other hand. He stopped me and was very pissed. He asked me to step in his boat while he searched my boat for anything that would show that I was doing something illegal. Once he finished his search I asked him what is not legal during November. He told me everything except rod and reel. So I am just letting you know so no one gets in trouble with the law. It is exciting anyway to get them to strike when your jigging them under the boat lights.
                Son of the Republic

Comment

I have big plans for nov.

Comment

Working...
                  X