My Scariest Bow Hunt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Scariest Bow Hunt!

If I had to pick on moment in time that I was the most scared and alive at the same time it would have to be this moment. It was back in 1979 and I was on delayed enlistment with the U.S. Air Force. After graduating high school I had enlisted but wanted one last hunting season before entering the Air Force so I went delayed until 4 January 1980. I worked hard all summer and saved money so that I could hunt all of October through December. I had gotten up early this morning to make the trek to Massanutten Mountain, where we hunted in Virginia, for an early October bow hunt. For those of you that might have read my book you will know the spot I am talking about. It is the area where the main character builds his cabin and also does his hunting. I had just turned 19 and as with most teenagers was in great shape and also felt ten foot tall and bullet proof. That ten foot tall and bullet proof feeling would all change later on this day.

The morning hunt had been very uneventful, though I had seen deer; I had been unable to put on a good stalk on any of them. I was pretty good at stalking back in those days, and rarely hunted from a stand. As the morning was ending I decided to head home and get a bite to eat and return in the early afternoon for another hunt and scouting trip. Once I had gotten some grub in my belly, I packed a backpack with some snacks and other necessities and then headed back to the mountain. I didn’t have a 4x4 so I couldn’t drive the old fire road up to where we normally started to hunt which is the better part of 2 miles from the main road. Hey I was young and in good shape in those days and the weather was cool so I didn’t even break a sweat on my way up. Once I was up above the huge bramble briar thicket, I moved over to the small spring at the base of the first main rise of the mountain. At the spring I filled my canteen and took a long drink of the cool fresh water and then refilled the canteen for the upward trek ahead. My goal for the afternoon was to go to the top of the mountain and cross over to the divide that joined 1st and 2nd mountains. This divide is a very large flat area between the tops of the two mountains and at times held large numbers of deer. Few people ever hunted this area because of the effort it would take to get a deer out after a kill. Once more at the ripe age 19, I figured I was tough enough to get a deer out of there if I was lucky to make a kill. With my canteen full, I pulled the straps of my backpack snug and up the mountain I headed.

The bow I was using in those days was a Bear 76er take down recurve that was 50lb draw at 28 inches. I was really good with a bow and practiced all the time. I shot instinctive without sights just as I do today with my longbow. I only wish I could shoot as well as I did back in my teens, but my older eyes make a big difference. The arrows I used were your standard Bear Cedar arrows that you bought with broadheads already attached. They were not cut or custom to me in the least bit, but with them and that bow I could hit a rabbit up to 30 yards without blinking and spent many days in the field just rabbit hunting. To this day I don’t know what happened to that ole bow after I joined the Air Force.

As most of you know you can’t go straight up a mountain, so I started moving along ridges, picking my spots for the easiest travel I could find. About half way up to the top I ran across a very well worn trail that had many tracks and decided to follow it for a while as it was heading up the mountain. Game know the easiest way from point to point, so I though why not, and if I was quite I might even get a shot at a deer. As I moved along the trail, it came to a place where the mountain laurels were very thick. These laurels were about 4 to 6 feet tall and looked to be complete impenetrable, but the trail lead into them. By bending down and walking along in a crouch, I continued to follow the trail. The trail continues on through the laurels for what seemed to be forever, and just as I was thinking of turning around I saw the opening just up ahead. As I exit from the laurels and straighten up, I see a small flattish clearing that is totally surrounded by laurels, but more importantly the other thing I see in this clearing was a very large and sleeping black bear. The bear was lying on the other side of the clearing in a spot that was being warmed by the sun. It was just lying there and was not moving, other than the big breathes it was taking. Moving through the laurels I was not able to have an arrow nocked, so at that moment I felt that was my first priority. This however was a mistake, what I should of done was as the saying goes “Let Sleeping Bears Lie”. I should have just backed my way outer of there, but no, remember I was ten foot tall and bullet proof. I pull and arrow from my quiver, but I was watching the bear more than what I was doing with my arrow nocking. Some of you might remember the old Bear 76ers had a metal riser that the two fiberglass limbs inserted into. Well you also might guess what I did while not paying enough attention to my arrow nocking. If your answer was hit the metal riser with the metal broadhead then you are right. When that metal to metal ting hit the air, there was never a loader sound made, or at least that is what it seemed. I will say that moment in time my world started to move in slow motion, but on the other hand that big bear moved with lightening speed. The big guy was up and staring at me in a flash and within another flash was standing on his hind legs. Let me tell you folks this guy was huge and by far the biggest bear I had ever seen, even to this day up close and personal.

This big bear was standing there not more than twenty yards from me, in fact it seemed a lot closer, but I really am not sure. I did know one thing for sure, I knew I could plant an arrow in his chest as he stood there, the only problem was I was unsure if the arrow would break his breast bone and penetrate enough to kill him. I also knew that even if I did make a perfect shot, and got the needed penetration, it was not going to stop this big guy in his tracts. So for the first time in the last few minutes, I might have made a smart decision. As when I was about half way through my draw I went from ten foot tall and bullet proof to scared rabbit in one beat of my heart. I basically dropped the arrow that was nocked, turned on my heals and as fast as my 19 year old legs would carry me started running. Let me tell you this, I didn’t crouch down to run back down the trail, I ran down through those laurels upright and as fast as my legs would carry me. I could hear that the big bear was following me as he was growling and tearing up the laurels as he followed. This only drove me harder and my legs faster, but it still seemed as if I was moving in slow motion. On the other hand, the bear was at full speed, and I just knew he was catching me.

Finally I broke from the laurels, with cuts and scratches all over my arms, legs and face. As soon as I saw open mountain in front of me, I turned quickly to the right and ran straight down the ridge. At that point I just ran and really don’t remember if I could still hear the bear behind me or not, but I did expect him to grab me with one of his big claws at any moment. I couldn't really worry about that, all I could really do was keep running and run I did. I ran all the way out to where my car was parked and I almost just kept running when I got to the car, heck it was only another mile down to the house. My only regret was someone didn’t have a stop watch on me because I know I set some kind of record. I did stop and get my car. Once in the car I just sat there for a while and caught my breath. At the time I don’t think it occurred to me just how scared I actually was at that moment. I knew was that I was safely in my car and one very winded young man.

Needless to say I never return to that little clearing to get the arrow I dropped and if the truth be known of the many times I have returned to hunt that mountain in the past 30 years, I have never even come within a hundred yards of that laurel thicket.
    Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Great story man! Well told, it's almost like the reader is there with you.

Comment

Nice! You mentioned "Your Book" have you published some of your words?

Remind me to tell you about the time when I had the boar charge me out in Anuahac while I was stuck on a mud flat pushing and pulling the boat free as the tide was coming in... 12 AM & 32 degrees! Oh and I had to paddle 2 miles b/c the battery died! It was quite an experience one I know I'll never forget
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

My first book is titled All Hawks Kill and it can still be ordered on line from like Barnes and Noble or Amazon. I'm currently working on the sequel but have had a bit of writer's block the last few months.

I can't wait to hear the full verson of your hog story......sound like an adventure!
        Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

Do you think I can get you to sign a copy once I buy it? I knew you had to be a writer of some sorts from your fishing stories you've posted up about your co-workers! That should be your next book
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

No kidding, I'd like to purchase a copy too.

I remember your story from the 2cool scary moments while hunting post. Great read then too.

Comment

You guys buy'em and I'll sign'em...

Heck you can get a copy from ebay if you want to go that route - http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-All-Hawks-Ki...3A1%7C294%3A50

When it first came out I bought 200 copies just for that reason but they have all since gone. In fact I don't even have a copy, guess I'll have to buy one also.

Also just a note, my daughter did the cover art on the book.
              Last edited by bountyhunter; April 15, 2009, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X