Dove Lease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dove Lease?

Hey guys, trying to get into the hunting thing more. Kind of hard since my family never hunted. I'm thinking of trying to buy a dove lease for this summer. Found a guy leasing out some land SW of Houston.

He says there are 2.4K acres in 4 different towns in the same area. The fields are milo, corn, and goatweed pastures.

Price is $200 and we are allowed to bring guests after opening weekend.

Is this a good deal? What should I look for when I check the place out? What questions should I ask?

What is the name of the hunt club? I am familiar with a few around here.

Comment

Not sure, I haven't called them yet

Comment

200 sounds a little steep. Usually its around 100-150. But check out the fields you should see some dove.

Comment

Although I would pay 200 to be on a good lease, I have been on some that produced almost nothing

Comment

When dove leases went up past $75 a year, I quit hunting dove. With that said, not sure what a good price would be these days. Like the good Uncle said, I'd go check it out first hand, there should be a lot of dove there now. If there not, then I'd look for another place.
            Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

You need to ask how many spots are available... How many hunters do you have signed up to date...

How do you access each field... Do I need 4X4 or an ATV? or are the roads stabilized and not just dirt.

How did you all do last year? # of birds killed? How many hunters? Do the math after you leave...

I'd start there I'm sure others have more suggestions on what to ask.
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Sounds about right guys. I also want to see exactly where they are so I can scope it out with google maps to look for water nearby and the general lay-out.

$200 does seem like a lot for a a handful of tiny sub-teal sized birds but I think it would be a great way to relax, get out there with a buddy, do some shooting and get dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                  I think it would be a great way to relax, get out there with a buddy, do some shooting and get dinner.
                  I agree, its nice to have a get away spot where you can shoot guns, run dogs and hang out close to houston!

Comment

dang.....$200 for a dove lease? It better be loaded with all types of doves and 10 min drive tops.

Comment

Hmm... where would I go to see other options?

Comment

look on craigslist, the chronicle, greensheet, goose leases that may allow dove hunting but dont advertise. They are not super easy to come by. I was on one for the past few seasons, but they kept losing land plots and the price kept going up.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                          Hmm... where would I go to see other options?

Look on the TPWD site for free places to hunt. Hell, find some rice fields and find the owner and ask if you can dove hunt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
                            Look on the TPWD site for free places to hunt. Hell, find some rice fields and find the owner and ask if you can dove hunt it.
                            I've hunted lots of those free places. I am a believer in "You get what you pay for"

Comment

Originally posted by Unclehandy View Post
                              I've hunted lots of those free places. I am a believer in "You get what you pay for"

They aren't all bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X