November Jigging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November Jigging

Well it is almost that time of year when gigging is shut down and the fish are flooding out of the bays. I figured I would give some of my tips for that time of year since I hinted on it in a previous post.

#1 If you do go out with your boat or walk do not carry anything with a point on it. The game warden will never believe you are not gigging. Lets face it, No one likes to be hassled by a warden so just save your self some time and leave the gigs at the house.

#2 Lighter is better when selecting tackle. I prefer crappie jig heads in the 1/16 oz. to 1/32 oz. range or just a j-hook with with your favorite plastic threaded on it.

#3 Distance is your friend. I found that if you get right over the fish they spook quicker. So I use a 10 foot Bn'M Heavy action jigging rod made for deep brush pile crappie fishing.

#4 If you choose to use live bait.... Shrimp is the way to go. Mullet and mud fish are to sporadic in shallow water and are very hard to get in front of the flounders face without using a lot of weight. When I do decide to use live I prefer a number 1 octopus hook but if you can find a smaller strong hook the smaller the better.

#5 Try to mimic what is in the water with your lures. This is where my fly fisherman in me comes out. I look and see what is swimming around in my lights and then I have a assortment of sizes and colors of our natural baits here.

The 6th step is the most important step....

#6 DON'T Panic and set the hook right away when you see your bait vanish. I know it's hard but this is an import key to remember. Give it 3 seconds and then set. If you set when you see the lure vanish you have a 50/50 chance of pulling the bait out of its mouth and there is nothing more disappointing then seeing a 28 inch flounder bolt getting over anxious

Good Luck
    Son of the Republic

I like!

Comment

I like it more!!
      I have an uncontrolable desire to wanna jerk my rod.

Comment

Sick info, thanks!
        I have often thought about doing this scenario of using a light to target and select only large flounder but never tried to do it. I've talked about this with a few close friends but I've never heard about anyone else do if. And the part about using the B&M pole I like very much
        I would think using a light in November will cause attention and harassment from any game warden and other fishermen until it is explained that one is not using a gig.
        My idea was to use this method during the warm months of the STAR Tournament.

Here's my scenario.
        Say you want to win a boat by submitting the largest fish in the flounder division but you are a gigger
        You are in your boat popping a few average fish when the summer trophy comes into the edges of your light. You immediately chop the throttle and turn the boat away from the behemoth at the same time you toss a weighted cork near with that marks the spot she lays. you maneuver the boat a short but safe distance away and get out armed with your B&M pole and live bait and wade towards the fish and then pin point her with a flashlight and drop the bait in front of her mouth, she slams it, it is a solid hook-up and suddenly you find that you have just landed "Legally" with a hook and line the largest Flounder submitted in the contest and your are now the leader in position to win a boat and trailer!
        Last edited by 2112; October 14, 2011, 03:03 AM.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
        Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

The problem with my scenario is in my experience it is rare to find a flounder over 24" in shallow water in the warm months of the S.T.A.R. Tourney. but I have seen beds as big as 28" during the fall/winter runs.

The reason we can walk up on a flounder and they just lay there is not because the fish is stupid. That fish is extremely aware of your presence and I bet its hart rate even increases. That fish usually will not bolt because it is gambling that you do not see it due to its camouflage so that fish just lays there.
          With this in mind I always wondered if the fish would even rise up out of its bed to strike a bait if it was illuminated by a light so here is my question...
          Even if you are standing some distance away from the fish with cane pole in hand do you have to turn off the light before she will strike the offering?
          I am going to guess not since you mentioned being able to see the fish inhale and doing the 10 second count.

Thank you very much for verifying an idea I've always had but never tried. It sounds like a excellent idea to put ones self legally on the leader board and I'm not so sure I should have even posted my thoughts here as I don't want anyone to getting any ideas. LOL.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
          Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Has anyone gotten this to work? I have seen it tried and there was absolutley no success at all, but it sounds like DIA has.

Comment

I have once last year. I went out to gig and brought my rod along with me since we've seen some reds cruising at night. We found the flounder bunched up and I had 4 while my dad had 2. I saw a fat on laying up in the grass about 8 feet in front of me. Tossed my DOA in front of it. I dragged it across right in front of it. My dad then gigged one so I turned around. I looked back and my shrimp was gone in a cloud of dirt. I lifted up my rod and there was weight to it and I set the hook. It ended up being a 19 incher and I had my limit for the day. It can happen!
              Resident Ninja

Comment

Im 0 for many.

I will do it one day though.

Comment

I have caught many this way only during the fall run. They are gorging them selves on there way out.
                  Son of the Republic

Comment

Working...
                  X