Fort Anahuac - 10/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Anahuac - 10/14

I launched the kayak at Fort Anahuac Park this morning at 6:25a. Wind was light from the NE. I fished the northern end of Anahuac Pocket with no luck - tried a black and chartreuse super spook jr. and a buggs lure that was kind of purpleish. Spooked some fish, one or two reds but didn't see much bait. I hadn't been up there before, it is hyper shallow.

I paddled across the river and up toward the gas well. One the large flat north of the gas well, I saw bait jumping and a few birds working. I switched over to my confidence bait - morning glory hackberry hustler. Got ahead of the birds and caught a rat red. It was 18" or so. Glad to have the skunk off.

Worked that flat, chased birds and bait around until 11a. Ended up with Six reds and one trout for the day. Two reds were undersized, the trout was right at 15" and I threw him back. Kept a limit of reds from 22" to 26".

Paddled around some area I hadn't seen before. Fiddled around until about 2p, paddling more than fishing then headed in. Fish is on the grill now!

Fish were over mixed mud and shell in 2' to 4' of water. The only thing I could get a bite on was the hustler. Tried tops, Killer Flats Minnow, Red Killers, and Buggs in various colors.

Wind swung around to the east for most of the day and shut down to dead flat calm at noon. By the time I got back to the launch, it was blowing W?!

Might have some video to share later. Need to check the camera.
    "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Good fishing bud
    10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Great job!
      I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Nice report and reds.Thats my go to bait also.
        Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Beautiful!
          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Great report.....thanks!
            sigpic
            Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

I liked the way you laid out your report. I will have to try it that way next time.

Were's the grille shot?

Comment

Originally posted by buoy37 View Post
                Were's the grille shot?
                Here it is.

Comment

I was able to pull together a little video of my adventure. Nobody could accuse me of going light on the hook set!

Last edited by Jerkyourcroaker; October 14, 2011, 10:15 PM.

Comment

The sound of the drag alone gets my blood flowing. Thanks for the video.

Comment

That's one big hookset! Thanks for sharing!
                      Resident Ninja

Comment

Holy hookset! "We're comin round the boat...we're comin round the poles...SON OF A B****!" Lmao fav part

Good lil stringer and thanks for the report!!!!
                        I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Comment

Nice job and video. That's the same type of hookset I use on flounder then using plastics.

Comment

Awesome report!

Comment

Great report. Enjoyed the video.

Comment

Working...
                              X