Gigging Friday night 10-14-2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigging Friday night 10-14-2011

Hit a walk-in spot at dusk and left at 9:30. Tide was already coming in and the water suprisingly clear at the start, but got muddy as time passed. The first fish was bedded up really deep in about a foot of water. The only reason I saw him was a method my Dad taught me when I was young. There was a patch of black sand that sometimes gets kicked up by the flounder's tail when bedding down. You look at the area around the black spot.
    All I could see was the jaw bone and eyes. And what a jaw bone it was......I new it was a big girl even though I couldn't see any of the body. 23" and thick. The next flounder was bedded up the same way. Laying next to a black patch of sand and the only thing you could see was the jaw and eyes. The third was moving and I had to hit it with a body shot due to my bad back. I wasn't going to lunge for it.
    After that the water got really muddy and I decided to head back to the truck.
    The water was shallow at that point and I saw a dozen or so empty beds after crossing a clay bottom. Flounder will never lay on hard clay, or at least I never have seen one.
    I kept on looking for the fish that made the empty beds. I found 2 laying about 6 feet apart. I stuck the first one and stepped on it so it wouldn't make any noise. I hung my lantern on a hook on my belt....pointing the light at flounder #2. Then picked up the first flounder while still on the gig and walked sideways. When I got to the second fish I twisted and dropped the first fish on top of the second. The second fish got a body shot, but that's typical when you have to stack them.
    Called it a night after that.
    5 fish......15 1/2", 16,16,17 and 23".

Click image for larger version

Name:	10-14-2011.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	570427

Nice!
    Resident Ninja

Comment

awesome!
      I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Very nice. What area were you in?

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk
        InKed Angler

Comment

Man real nice!!!

Comment

You re the man.

Comment

Wow! That 23 is a fat beauty!
              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Way to go on spotting that trophy!
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Nice fatty!

Comment

Nice job. I too was taught to look hard at the black sandy spots and to check the empty beds. You never know.

Comment

Good Yob...!
                      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Very nice on the big momma there! Very good report too!
                        Fishing. "Just Do It"

Comment

Working...
                        X