jetty run 10/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jetty run 10/16

lori and i ran out to the jetty early this morning to see what was going on. well, pretty much nothing next to the rocks. we moved out a bit to see if we could find any bull reds in some deeper water. we both baited up our heavy tackle rods and tossed them out. i added a bit of weight to my trout rod and tossed out a nice fat live shrimp and let it settle to the bottom. after landing a few fabulous whiting, i got bit in a big sort of way. of course, the damn fish had to hit the trout rod and not the heavier gear. after a 15 to 20 minute battle with 12 lb test on a citica, it finally surfaced. a freaking huge ray, well over 2 feet across. it had to have weighed 20 lbs. we cut the line at the boat and let that piece of crap go. shorly after lori's big rod bows down and she's on. she boated a nice 34 inch bull red that went 17.5 lbs on the scale, safely released. we were trying to decide where to go next when i get another bite on the trout rod. i reel down to something really heavy. i'm using some choice words again knowing i have the twin sister to the ray from earlier if not the same ray. it was hugging the bottom and making small runs, just like before. after another battle of about 20 minutes, a big black drum surfaces. we forgot to measure it, but it went 23lbs on the scale. we hit a few flounder holes on the way back and released one barely keeper flattie and called it a day.
    Attached Files

Great report Michelle, looks like you got your work-out in.

Comment

Jeeze! I thought I was the only one who caught rays all the time! Sorry, Michelle. At least you got some weight lifting done!
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	BullRed10_11.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	555724My red, Michelle did use some choice words when she saw it was a ray. Had never seen a rod truly bent 180 before and was waiting for the snap when she was landing the drum, yeh she can skip the gym this week.
        Last edited by Lori77563; October 17, 2011, 06:43 AM.
        -----------------------
        .~~~~ ~~~~~~~ www.saltwaterhooker.net

Comment

WTG Michelle and Lori.....Thanks for the report!
          sigpic
          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Nice morning.Congrats
            Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

Way to go girlz... Now that is a work out fo sho...
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
                X