how do you fish the jetties??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you fish the jetties??

Im mainly a artificial 1ft-5ft water depth.inshore.surf fisherman. Just got my boat up and running and don't really know what to do?

Do you anchor, drop a mullet on a weighted line and wait?

free shrimp against the rocks, or all the way down on the bottom the when you anchor make sure you leave your motor running the whole time until your anchor is caught in case it doesn't catch or you will go right into the rocks, good luck !
    I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

ahhh... no mullet?

Comment

That will work too. Shrimp will get more numbers of fish, and I think it's better in late spring when the sheepies are thick, and the trout are just starting to show.

Another technique I like is a slip cork with the bait just above the rocks. Cast up-current, and let the bait drift along the rocks.

I like to fish wash-overs if I can.

Comment

OK... i figured I was doing something wrong... FWE member charlie and i went out and were using drop rigs... thank!s!

Comment

do you use little shot weights while free lining?

Comment

Yeah, splitshot for freelining or drifting a bait under a cork.

If you fish a bottom rig, use enough weight to keep it from drifting. Don't move it unless you bring it in all the way. If you move it around it will get snagged.

Comment

Honestly, I think we were using an acceptable technique, we were just being impatient I guess, and I did mention we should move closer to the rocks...

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                  Honestly, I think we were using an acceptable technique, we were just being impatient I guess, and I did mention we should move closer to the rocks...
                  No griping to the captain!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sfef84 View Post
                    No griping to the captain!!!
                    Hahahaha!!! My fishing buddy does it too. Maybe it's cause I always call him anchor b**** ?
                    I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

Key in on the splash overs on the rocks-if tide and wind are right, you can drift down along the jetty while throwing into the rocks-amybe 1-2 boat lengths away. I use a #8 treble or flounder hook (#1 WFH small flounder hook-it's kinda like a tru-turn-it has an offset at tip so almost a circle) with live shrimp and either small splitshot or a barrel swivel with a 20# flouro leader-sometimes add a 1/16 -1/8 oz. egg sinker above swivel. I throw at the rocks and kinda feel it bouncing down slowly-almost like flounder fishing, then set on any "thump or bump" and fish on. For bull reds, try 1/2 crab, a good strong hook (circle) no. 6 and add 3/4 to 1 oz egg sinkers (as needed to keep bait on bottom) above swivel with about 18" of 20-40# flouro leader and don't throw that into the rocks-it'll hang-try where rocks meet floor.

If ya anchor up, watch when tide changes because it can swing ya around fairly quick. Carry an extra anchor with ya also. Be ready to start up and move. A trolling motor works great.
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I caught my personnel best trout at the s jetty august 27 this year it was 4 ft of water channel side in coming tide on a live croaker .She was 29" but only 5.48 lbs .Too long a story I know but I dont fish the jetty other than july n august just too many other places to fish closer to home.Look for bait busting start shallow n go deep.

Comment

Thanks all for the great advice!! MUCH APPRECIATED

Comment

Working...
                          X