do I have a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do I have a problem?

Figured I would change the lower unit oil on my 115 Johnson. I removed the lowere screw first and low and behold clean water drained out.......after a minute of being shocked I removed the top scew and the oil followed. It was not milky at all just looked dark but not dark green like the new oil. I have not had any issues with the lower unit at all. Am I in for a horror story being its Holloween season?

how much water do you think drained out? a little is not a major concern other than needing to replace your seals.
    I have an uncontrolable desire to wanna jerk my rod.

Comment

Originally posted by slickfish View Post
      how much water do you think drained out? a little is not a major concern other than needing to replace your seals.
      Not much I guess less than 1/4 cup.

Comment

Pull the prop and see if there is mono around the shaft.
        Worst case, the unit isn't hard to re-seal.

Comment

Could also be bad drain screw gaskets
          "Team Waist Deep"

Comment

My question is.... Why wasn't it mixed? ??

When was the last time you ran it?

Comment

Originally posted by gregr1971 View Post
              My question is.... Why wasn't it mixed? ??

When was the last time you ran it?
              My thoughts exactly, If it has been a while the water and oil will separate and go to the bottom. More than likely it is leaking at the shift shaft seals where the rod passes through on the lower unit top. There are 2 o-rings in the cover that go out regularly we see it all the time. Easy repair and parts are cheap obviously. If your going to do it yourself call me and I can coach you through it over the phone. As gregr1971 said pull the prop and check for mono, if present you will want to change the prop shaft seals for sure.
              Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
              (AKA Evans Marine Services)
              4340 19th St.
              Bacliff, Texas 77518
              http://evansmarine.net
              http://boatwerxtx.com
              main@boatwerxtx.com
              281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

To answer your question pieman, YES, you do have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by evansmarine View Post
                  My thoughts exactly, If it has been a while the water and oil will separate and go to the bottom. More than likely it is leaking at the shift shaft seals where the rod passes through on the lower unit top. There are 2 o-rings in the cover that go out regularly we see it all the time. Easy repair and parts are cheap obviously. If your going to do it yourself call me and I can coach you through it over the phone. As gregr1971 said pull the prop and check for mono, if present you will want to change the prop shaft seals for sure.
                  Thank you Bryan. I ran it last Sunday. I to was puzzled as to why the water was seperated from the oil so cleanly. Mono filament? Yea a couple months back a guy was fishing at the mouth of the boat launch in TxCity and I caught one of his lines, jammed up my prop pretty good. I removed it all but it must have damaged the seals. I will give you a call when I open her up, thanks again.

Comment

No Problem
                    Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
                    (AKA Evans Marine Services)
                    4340 19th St.
                    Bacliff, Texas 77518
                    http://evansmarine.net
                    http://boatwerxtx.com
                    main@boatwerxtx.com
                    281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

Pieman, good catch, it happened to me and we got the seals replaced and I was good to go ....

When you do it, remember to go a head and have the water pump done as well .... your there, so mine as well ...

Also, maybe Bryan or Greg can shed some light on this, but don't you need a special tool to get in there and replace the seals?

I remember having to use something specail to get it done on my 88spcl
                      FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Working...
                      X