How does one pound a flounder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does one pound a flounder?

I keep hearing about the flounder run and I've had some flounder pounders kicking around the bottom of my tackle bag for a while now. Any words of advice on how to deploy such a device? I'm guessing you just bump them along the bottom and hope there's a hungry flounder around. I've also heard if you think you've had a flounder take your bait to let it hang on to it for a while before you set the hook. Any flounder catching tips would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Travis
    When I grow up I want to be, One of the harvesters of the sea. I think before my days are done, I want to be a fisherman.

Here's jow I do it:
    Cast flounder pounder...
    Open beer, take 4 big gulps......
    Reel in 6 inches (or wait for nibble)
    Finish beer.....
    Check for weight or tug on lure.....
    Open new beer.....
    take 4 big gulps.....
    etc. etc. etc.
    Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
    "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Originally posted by Termo View Post
      Here's jow I do it:
      Cast flounder pounder...
      Open beer, take 4 big gulps......
      Reel in 6 inches (or wait for nibble)
      Finish beer.....
      Check for weight or tug on lure.....
      Open new beer.....
      take 4 big gulps.....
      etc. etc. etc.
      I agree. Be sure to pay attentionn. If you don't have any fish within a 12 pack. Go on the next spot. Repeat as needed.

Comment

Better ask Reeltime -- he seems to be pretty good at it for the moment..
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shortystillsurfs View Post
          I agree. Be sure to pay attentionn. If you don't have any fish within a 12 pack. Go on the next spot. Repeat as needed.
          LMAO!!
          KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Drag your lure until you feel like you snagged some trash .... then set the holy crap out of your hook ....

This allows you to hook em in da face .... which is good
            FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

If your in it for flounder exclusively the best way I have caught them is to find structure. Pilings, posts, pier supports, whatever. They tend to hang around those. Work the lure past the structure pretty slow. Once you catch a flounder at a spot, your done. Move on cause each place usually has one flounder that is the dominate boy in the neighborhood. Years ago we used to fish a pier that was on the Bolivar pennisula. About a half mile off the ferry on the right. Used mud minnows on a treble hook with a swivel and a slip sinker above the swivel. Walked the pier slow dragging the minnow by the pilings. Over the years I caught and saw caught literally thousands of flounder. Mud minnows were always the bait of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by brerrabbit View Post
                ...... Once you catch a flounder at a spot, your done. Move on cause each place usually has one flounder that is the dominate boy in the neighborhood. ......
                You are mistaken with this comment ... and it has been proven over and over again ....

True, sometime you can only get one out of a certain area/ spot .... but I have watched the owner of Flounder pounder on the front of my boat pull numerous flounder out of one "manhole size" spot. I have usually see one big girl and the rest in the 15- 18" come out of a spot ...

But to say move on after you catch one, is poor advise
                FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Worked for me in the late 70's when I used to sell all the ones I caught. Back then they weren't game fish and there was no limit. Since the more I caught the more I made, I moved on after catching one. I didn't want to wait for the next one.

Comment

I tried the first method last weekend for about 3 beers and got no love. I was working around the pilings of the Tiki island bridge. My buddy was free lining shrimp and got one keeper spec in that spot before we moved on. I'll shall attempt more pounding the next time I can get on the water.
                    Thanks for the advice.

Travis
                    When I grow up I want to be, One of the harvesters of the sea. I think before my days are done, I want to be a fisherman.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB010001.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	4.11 MB
ID:	555856

Yesterday catch Cameron Louisiana 2.5 hour drive 40 flounder arrived at 6am in the truck at 9:40am... 20.00 for a one day Louisiana fish license... I have never seem anything like this crap before pretty cool... Lures used white CC Mullet gulp the flounder loved it... The picture are 20 flounder not pictured are 20 flounder lol too funny...
                      Last edited by Hogie70; November 8, 2011, 01:26 PM.
                      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

WHERE???

I was curious on where you went. Some friends of ours just moved there and we are wanting to get on some flounder. Please let me know. We are going up there on Saturday 11-12-11. Please Help!!!

Comment

Where I wanna go!!!
                          MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by Muddskipper View Post
                            Drag your lure until you feel like you snagged some trash .... then set the holy crap out of your hook ....

This allows you to hook em in da face .... which is good

Ditto on this! You don't have to wait on the hook set. Cross his eyes when you set it though so that the hook goes through that bony jaw

Good luck!.

Comment

I am late again but this is one I want to bring back up. Slow, slow and jerk his eyes out. From the bank (just got my 1st boat) I have had good luck with flounder pounders in drains. The best was just a 20' wide drain, outgoing drain into intercoastal. Casted across and up the drain into current, let it roll and bump along the bottom till the bait changes direction. Lower the rod tip, reel up slack and jerk his eyes out. Then as mentioned, take 4 chugs and repeat.

Comment

Working...
                              X