Slow Morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Morning

I went out about 7:00 this morning. NNE wind blowing pretty good as I crossed the bay. Stopped at a small reef near the N. shore and hopped in to wade. I was throwing a Blk/Crm Shedog across the wind and almost parallel with the reef. The water warmer than the air, was sandy green and choppy. About 8:00 some slicks started popping and I nailed the first trout @ 4#. Then a few casts later I had a big blowup and felt some serious weight on the other end, as whatever it was ripped off 200 feet of line.
    I finally turned it and as it came back my way the line tracked across the reef. I got a brief glimpse of a black fin and thought it was a Blacktip shark. I brought it in and it was the biggest Spanish Mackerel I've ever seen! It was really pizzed off so it took a few minutes to boga and unhook. It weighed 6.75# and really wide.
    I retied and went back to fishing and landed another 4# trout and that was it...
    The NE wind really came up about 11:00 so I came in for the ceremonial Saturday chili dogs!!
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Nice going! Those Smacks can get reeeeaaal mean with them teeth!
    Resident Ninja

Comment

That's a BIG smack
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the report. That IS a big smack, especially for in the bay.
        You never know what the tide might bring

Comment

Thanks for the report Kenny, im going to be fishing west tomorrow. Heard it was a slow day for many..

Comment

Those are some nice trout you had there. Thats a huge S-mack you caught there. What in the world was he doing up in the bay this time of year? Thanks for the report. We were on the north shoreline and had action as soon as we showed up and it turned off at around 8:45 like a switch.
            Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by corndog View Post
              Those are some nice trout you had there. Thats a huge S-mack you caught there. What in the world was he doing up in the bay this time of year? Thanks for the report. We were on the north shoreline and had action as soon as we showed up and it turned off at around 8:45 like a switch.
              I've been catching better trout over shell than on the N. Shoreline.
              I've caught mackerel on Thanksgiving Day before in the main canal here in JB. I looked up the state record and it's 8.6# or so. So it WAS a big smack!
              "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Great Haul..
                KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Good day kenny
                  MANVEL MOB

Comment

great smack.
                    KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Working...