Fly report Sat-Mon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly report Sat-Mon

Fished Christmas Bay Saturday and Sunday, had moderate n/ne winds and decent water color in most places. Fished Saturday afternoon with girlfriend from a 2 person kayak. The tide was low and the redfish were easy to spot. I found a few pods tailing but mostly singles backing or cruising the shorelines. The action became best after about 3 when the tide started moving back in. It was a pretty day on the water, especially for my girlfriend to see tailing fish. It was also convenient for me to stand in the back of the kayak while she paddled me closer to fish. Anyway, I think we scratched out 5 or so on the spoon fly each day. Could have done very well the evening but 4 hours in the kayak was enough for Ann and headed back to the truck passing several more great opportunities.
    So, Today, Monday, was redemption day. Fished the back lakes near Jones lake from about 10-2. Wind was light from ne, water was ok at best, but fishing was outstanding. I lost count at about 12 reds. Most of them were good size the largest measured 26”. Saw everything, some tailing pods, several schools chasing bait, singles cruising and a lot of pairs and triplets just cruising around. I stopped and waded a hard sand/grass flat the entire time. The action slowed as the tide really started to move around 1. Action was pretty much non stop from about 10-12, Dropping fish back in the water as quick as I could so that I could cast to some more. When my spoon fly was destroyed probably after the 7th or 8th fish I realized I forgot my flybox. Not wanting to wade back to the kayak, I shortened my leader to about 15 lb test and used the remnants of the spoon fly. They loved it, better than the spoon fly. I included a picture of the remnant fly, which I will be tying. Kinda looks like a bonefish fly. I think I ended up landing 15-18 reds, pulling off several more and just missing a bunch. Ahhhhhh….I needed that!
    Attached Files

Nice report and pics. WTG.

Comment

Nice!, how do get to the jones lake area by yak?

Comment

That was a great day you had there.Like the pictures.Been wanting to get down to Christmas Bay but have not made it that far south yet.
        Skiffstiff

Comment

Wow,looks like a great day, nice pics.
          Today is a new day!!

Comment

Really great pictures. Congrats on the outing. That picture of the 'red herd' (the last one) is really cool as well as the stingray.
            "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Working...
            X