West Bay One Fly Redfish Tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Bay One Fly Redfish Tourney

I sent Coe a PM and he okay-ed me to pursue this idea on the site. I wanted to gauge the interest in doing a One fly redfish tourney. For those of you not familiar with the one fly contest, you get get to pick one fly to use all day to catch as many fish as possible on. Once the fly is gone, your done for the day. I am thinking a winner takes all approach, the winner being decided by total inches.

This would be a not for money event, but rather require 10 flies/per entrant that would be pooled, with all the flies going to the winner. The weigh in/award ceremony would be BYOB and potluck. I am not sure where we would hold it, I am a member at Harbor Walk and I thought that would be a good location, but am up for suggestions.

There is no minimum number of participants to get started, and i would like to do this in the next 2-3 weeks.

there will be no t-shirts, and this is a fly fishing only contest. Fishing area will be mapped back to what Coe used for the Redfish tourney last month.

Please reply to this thread if you are interested.

Brandon

If you have a Calcutta, I'm interested (aint flyfishing) but I'll bid a lot on Skiffstiff (Joe)-heck he won last saturday by picking up a capsized hunter in the bay, so the Gods are ready to reward him with boatloads of reds!!!

I like your idea and hope it takes off. Why not try Orvis and FTU for some sponsorship so ya have some door prizes or gimme bags? Worst they can do is say "no thanks." Just food for thought.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

You know I'm in. A little more advanced notice and planning would have probably drawn a bigger crowd. 2-3 weeks is a pretty short notice.

Comment

We can push it out if need be. This is meant to be an informal tourney so dates are not important, but the fishing is so good right now that I thought it would be a good idea.

Comment

Great Idea! Sounds like fun. I'm in.....kayak freindly?

Comment

I'd be interested. So long as it doesn't interfere with my duck hunting.
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Sounds like a good way to get rid of the flies that I made when I first started tying.
              Today is a new day!!

Comment

OK Guys, It's firmed up. Here are the details:

West Bay One Fly Event
                When: Saturday December 3, 2011
                Where: Check In/Award at Harbor Walk Marina, Hitchcock Under neath Ships Store from 4:00-6:00 PM
                Entrance Fee: 10 Flies
                Award: This is a winner take all with the winner taking home half the flies submitted for entrance fees, with the other half being donated.
                Award Ceremony: This is BYOB and a potluck, so bring good beer and good food for everyone to share!
                Details/Rules:
                - Entrants Send notification of participation to brandon@tidalguide.com
                - This is a Fly Fishing only Event. No Bait. No soaking flies.
                - Participants will only be allowed to use one fly for a day of fishing. The winner will be decided by the most total inches of fish caught on the single fly. Once the fly is lost, the participant is done fishing for the day.
                - 2 Species of fish will be allowed for measurement: Redfish, and Sheepshead
                - Sheephead will have 5 inch Bonus added on to measurement.
                - Participants may catch and release, or keep fish caught as long as they fall into legal limits set forth by TPWD
                - Fishing times will be 30 Minutes After Sun Up- Until 4:00 PM
                - Flies that are damaged may be repaired with Super Glue While on the Water.
                - Fish able Boundaries are Galveston Causeway to Freeport Surf side Bridge.
                - This is an honor system event. Any one found cheating will be eliminated and publicly chastised for trying to rip off people at a for fun event and will no longer be able to participate in future one fly events!
                - And no dock light fishing!
                - Boat, Wade, Kayak, Seaplane, Helicopter, It doesn't matter. Fish from what you want in the boundaries.

Comment

- One or 2 man teams with every participant required to submit flies.

Comment

Sounds like fun.I'm in.A good way to meet others who like to fish with the fly.

Comment

Great idea, that is a good weekend b/c it is the split of duck season. If it is a success, get it on the calender for next year. Would participate, but booked that weekend.

Comment

Are you final on the date Brandon? I will see if I can come out and play..
                        http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Too bad I can't fly fish. I can catch them with chop sticks though!

Good luck to everyone!
                          Resident Ninja

Comment

Steve, yes we are firm for the 3rd.

Comment

BUMP! Extended forecast looks good so far. Remember, no registration required, fish that day with your one fly, keep track of fish and length, show up at Harbor Walk Ships Store at 4 with you 10 Flies, Beer or drink of choice to share, and your food dish to share.
                              Last edited by Tidalguide; November 28, 2011, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X