Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure is quite in here...

....Kinda sux, don't it.

How come us "Giggers" can't go out and select 2 obvious keepers yet the rod and reel is allowed to cull all month long and that's not to mention all the under-sized, mangled and gut hooked 10 second count fish that are released with all the mangled keepers that were kept on a stringer and then released for the next biggest Flounder.
    (Not that everyone does this but you know it happens hundreds a time every day during this 2 fish month all up and down the coast.)

If you have any inkling that you have been made a "patsy" then you are totally correct because the gig does not lie when it comes to selecting a obvious keeper to put on the stringer.

Am I trying to start shiet...you bet!

Am I trying to get you to think...you bet!

Give me one valid reason why we cannot precisely select the fish we want with minimal damage to the population but the hook and line can mangle and cull all month long?

What difference does it possibly make how the fish is harvested as long as it's legal?

If you're argument is you want to give the big fish a chance to make it out to open water to spawn then I have news for you. THE ABSOLUTE BIGGEST FEMALES LEAVE THE BAY BETWEEN DEC 1ST AND THE 31ST.

I am a believer in the new 2 fish November limit but the gig never was the problem.
    I still say If I can't stick 2 then you cannot reel in 2.

Also take into consideration that the average Gigger needs a weekend and calm conditions just to be contemplative about making the effort...Folks, the odds are stacked against the gig right there for that simple mathematical reason and there simply are not near as many giggers as there are fishermen which makes the debate even that much more valid

There is nothing anyone can retort that will convince me that the gig does more damage than the hook and line ANY month of the year.

I know this has been hashed out the past few years and the result will remain the same...
    The powers that be are grasping at straws and YOU the Gigger are the monster, the patsy.

Once again, I can very much agree with the 2 fish limit and even challenge it to include the month of December but don't blame the gig when we are most likely the staunchest supporter of this resource.

Every year that goes by with this blind discrimination does nothing but make me more resolute in my stance.
    I know this is a passionate subject on both sides of the fence so try to keep it civil but please do... Think and post you're thoughts

V/R to all
    Bert Flores
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

In the name of true conservation lets:

Ban rod and reel fishing
    Gigg only
    Must start gigging after 12:00 midnight weeknights only.
    Gigging shall take place on nights with a minimum of 15 mph winds
    Gigger ( I said gigger ) must be blind folded
    Gigger must use torch as only light source

That will give the fish a chance to grow

Comment

I believe the gig method has a very little chance of the fish escaping, as to with the rod and reel they come often come off cause the bait is just in their mouth, not swallowed. I really don't know their logic behind the gigging ban Bert but if You ask Robalo, He will probably tell You Obama did it. I am opposed to the gigging ban myself and I am 52 years old and have never gigged one but if I ever did I bet I would be hooked on it for sure.
      Beandaddy

Comment

Originally posted by Shortystillsurfs View Post
        In the name of true conservation lets:

Ban rod and reel fishing
        Gigg only
        Must start gigging after 12:00 midnight weeknights only.
        Gigging shall take place on nights with a minimum of 15 mph winds
        Gigger ( I said gigger ) must be blind folded
        Gigger must use torch as only light source

That will give the fish a chance to grow
        Shhhhhhhh! You're giving them ideas!
        Tight Lines

Comment

Dats my Gigger!!!!!

Little over two weeks from now Short and I will be firing up the Flattie...
          Yeah we still Smokin.

"Nobody left me a buffalo..."

Comment

Sharpen you spears warrior's this month is almost half over.
            I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Originally posted by snake View Post
              Dats my Gigger!!!!!Little over two weeks from now Short and I will be firing up the Flattie... Yeah we still Smokin. "Nobody left me a buffalo..."
              My Gigga

Comment

A bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush I caught 2 flatties Saturday one was 17" and another was 19"I was not going to wait and catch a bigger one I was trout fishing .I dont think I would gas up my boat in november and say lets go flounder fishing with the limit being 2 each.Lets trout fish and maybe run into flounder .This should do the resource a ton of good unlike the past.

Comment

ok thanks for the tip. So if i went every day and got 2 a day thats 30 fish by Dec 1. Think well use the gas thats in it and go Dec 1 when its 5 a person get three man limit before midnight then head back out and get another 15 and will be caught up by the wee hours of the 2nd...

No body left me a buffalo

Comment

Originally posted by 2112 View Post
                    There is nothing anyone can retort that will convince me that the gig does more damage than the hook and line ANY month of the year.

I know this has been hashed out the past few years and the result will remain the same........
                    Bert,

You and I have had our disscussions about this

SO not to digress, the recreational gigging angler got grouped in with the commercial gigging, and how to manage between the two.

There would be no way to manage who was a comm. gigger with the lack of law enforcement, that TPWD deals with. That comes down to money $$$

It should be noted that he commercial giggers were responsible for appox half the harvest of flounder taken annually in TEXAS, with 33% of their catch coming in November.

It would be hard to argue with the last 3 yrs of the rule change and seeing what we are seeing with harvest numbers, gig or rod & Reel
                    FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marx
                      Okay Burt , why don't we take your boat out and drop a big fat Mullet in front of the ones we want to keep .
                      LOL...it would be a great opportunity to pratice the night method for the STAR contest but every Game Warden that seen us would think we were up to no good during this ban month.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                      Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

[QUOTE=Muddskipper;163587]Bert,You and I have had our disscussions about thishttp://www.fishwestend.com/forum/sho...nder-run/page4It should be noted that he commercial giggers were responsible for appox half the harvest of flounder taken annually in TEXAS, with 33% of their catch coming in November.Good point.I think it is also worth noting the nearly the entire "other" 50% fell victim to the smokin flatties

Comment

Swim you little bastards.... Me and Short are comin...

Whens the last time you smoked a flattie????? Well Partner thats been to long.....

Comment

Smoked a Flattie? Or a Fattie? I would take 'em both!!!
                            Beandaddy

Comment

2 more days!! Then it's stabbin' time
                              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
                              X