New Rigs? Productive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rigs? Productive?

I haven't done an offshore trip in a good 3 or 4 years and I'm starting to itch! I'm pretty sure I will go out somewhere this year and as usual it will be a month of thinking it out where I want to go. Maybe a good wire leader and some live mullet to spark some action in addition to the normal trolling lures or soak baits.

Has anyone fished the new cluster of platforms out of the jetties I think it's 100089 and 100095 or something like that. I'd say they are out and about a 45 to 50 degree turn to the left and maybe 15 miles out. That's a very quick run if it holds anything. If they don't hold any fish how close are the next set for action? I know they put a lot of new rigs out there.

Also, and going by memory here, it doesn't look to be THAT far by boat from SLP to go straight out to the first set of rigs out of Freeport. How easy is that trip? Or would you really want to?

Btw, 53 gallons, 20 out, 20 in, 13 for buffer. I figure if I run reasonable rpm I'll get pretty good range.

Joe

Its definitely nice to go out from SLP as long as you know the area. I have always had better success around freeport. You dont have to go out as far to get to deep water. When I get close to half a tank I its time to go back.

Comment

Joe bring extra gas with you...

Unclehandy is right about a closer shelf but that doesn't mean you can't catch fish. I've gone out to Healds bank and worked weed lines and gone out 10-20 miles to the single platforms where the ling love to hide.

I'd bring 2-3 5GA jugs of extra gas with me with a 50GA tank.
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

The one bad thing about those rigs close to the jetties, is that there are always boats there. They are just close enough, that anyone can access them.

Comment

I hadn't thought of that. I do have several 5gallons that I can bring. What a great idea...
          And I guess it would be good to get to less pressure jsut a little further out.

I used to run to the Herald Bank and fish Rig up and Rig Down too. Man.. great memories there since that's where I caught my first ling and my first Mahi Mahi. Beautiful fish!!! Weedlines, I NEVER let one go unchallenged, lol. I remember coming in from a trip and although I caught fish it just wasn't all I wanted. We pulled up to the bouy JUST outside of the jetty and flat lined a sardine by that bouy. LING ON!

Comment

Joe:

You need to tag with brother Jim and me sometime this summer. We stay within 30 maybe 35 miles and it's always safer to follow/tandem in case any problems occur. They pulled some of the GA 273 complex platforms out (about 18 miles SE of SLP) but still some there (my neighbor caught a sail at 273 a couple years ago and a wahoo between the first caisson and 273 area) and we usually hit GA 301, 303, 350, 352 areas plus some wrecks if still there after Ike. I don't go thru the Jetties-too far to go to get out-adds about 15 miles to trip, so we never hit Heald (crowded usually anyways) and we go thru SLP-can be tricky and aint hit it yet-waiting on my Robalo to be finished-new gas tank and transom-it's only $$. The Bucs are gone except a gas transmission platform, but fish are still there (30 miles SE of SLP about a 120 heading I recall-dang GPS' spoil ya).
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

That sounds good with the follow action. I'm up for it. Oh and I hear you keep saying it's tricky goign out of SLP but going out I just stay closer to the left and read the water to go through the breakers. Has it gotten worse than it was a couple of years ago? That's probably the lsat time I crossed over and went chasing fish up the shoreline.

Yeaaaa GPS will spil ya! I still need to get me a compass on the new boat. Even with the GPS I can't believe their didn't put one in. Oh and my VHF with DSC and 8' antenna is in the garage to be put on... and this boat doesn't have a Bilge.. what! Now I have personally seen it in with a ton of water on the floor(self bail plugs in) and water did not go between the hulls.. amazing! but I need a bilge, and I prefer the 1500lph models. Geesh... just finished getting my emergency kit put together. whewww.... yea... just $$
              Last edited by Race1Mopar; April 21, 2009, 05:20 PM.

Comment

If anyone ever needs a tag along to help with Expenses, I would love to go offshore. I have never been and been wanting to try it for a while.
                sigpic
                Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

I'll be looking for buddy boats and fishing folks this spring and summer... I hold 145 gallons, but only have a single so a buddy boat is the only way I'll make a longer ranged trip. If by myself I'll hit up the 10 - 15 mile rigs for Ling here in a couple weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny View Post
                    I'll be looking for buddy boats and fishing folks this spring and summer... I hold 145 gallons, but only have a single so a buddy boat is the only way I'll make a longer ranged trip. If by myself I'll hit up the 10 - 15 mile rigs for Ling here in a couple weeks.
                    Tiny, I've run 60 miles out on 105 gallon tank it was flashing empty when I pulled back in...

I won't go that far anymore but can easily catch solid fish anywhere between that. I'll buddy up with you whenever you want.

Comment

we need to run to port a we can go 35-40 out only use about half a tank and get much better fish.
                      Free advice for cold beer !

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                        Tiny, I've run 60 miles out on 105 gallon tank it was flashing empty when I pulled back in...

I won't go that far anymore but can easily catch solid fish anywhere between that. I'll buddy up with you whenever you want.
                        I'll be on that buddy list too. In my old boat I had an 85 gallon tank and really called my limit 25-30 out. My new boat only has a 53 gallon tank but the motor is more fuel effecient. In the old boat I've had days where I've used 1/2 of it and days where I've used almost all of it. How you run, all out vs 3/4 throttle, plus wind, waves, natural current (with or against).. tons of stuff account for fuel usage. That's why they say 1/3 out, 1/3 in and 1/3 reserve. When I go in the bay I always use less than I expect but offshore I always use more than I expect.

Plus tiny... Get that VHF with DSC, one button push and your GPS cordinates will be sent out continually for another boat to grab and relay that you're in trouble, come to your rescue. Also EPERB's have come down in price. I know there still a grip! but what's a grand when it comes to your life.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish Rob View Post
                          we need to run to port a we can go 35-40 out only use about half a tank and get much better fish.

That would be Freeport. Leaving out of the Jetties means slow acces to deeper water whereas leaving from Freeport means deep water is much closer and you have a more densly populated field of rigs to chose from. Meaning if you don't find fish you don't have to use another 5-7 gallons just to get to the next rig.

Joe

Comment

I have EPIRB, VHF Radio Portable & Fixed & SAT Phone I wouldn't venture Off-Shore without any of them!

Comment

Just fyi, If you have an older EPIRB, As of February 1, 2009 all satellite processing of distress signals from all 121.5/243MHz beacons by the international COSPAS-SARSAT System were to be terminated and Boaters using an emergency beacon must now use only a 406 MHz EPIRB.

Reference & and good read on EPIRBs
                              http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...001/EPIRBs.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X