11/23 East Bay Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11/23 East Bay Trip

I launched the kayak at Stingaree Marina this morning at 6:45a. Wind was north at 10 to 15. I went to Stingaree because parts of that marsh have some depth. Thought with a north faing mouth some water might have gotten pushed in there compared to everywhere else Turned out it was pretty blown out I paddled back in the Singaree Marsh to the marsh lake way in the back. I saw quite a bit of shrimp on the marsh edge and some mullet but none was moving, no predators eating. The marsh lake had some water in it but not a lot. Crabs were waving to me from the pots that were more than half out of the water. No bites.

Sensing I wasn't going to do much catching, I decided to explore around so I packed up the kayak and drove to ANWR. I drove down toward Frozen Point. Water looked real good but way low. No bait working on the shoreline. No birds so I didn't unload-just walked the shoreline. The gate was locked. I couldn't drive down to Frozen Point so I walked most of the way looking at conditions and cover that would be hidden during normal water conditions.

Stopped by Baytown Nature Center on the way home and paddled around for an hour or two. Caught one decent flounder in one of the channel openings. Otherwise not much for bites today. Water really started getting sandy after noon. I loaded the car and headed home at two.

I knew it might be tough today but really wanted to get out. Had a good day and saw a lot of water. Hope to see reports from the west end, I'm sure somebody got in ' em.

JYC
    "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

At least you got out on the water. And it's those low-tide recon trips where you can explore more of the structure that help out later on. Thanks for posting!
    You never know what the tide might bring

Comment

I checked the camera this morning. I did catch one good photo of the sun coming up and my favorite bird doing recon over the marsh.

"Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Working...
      X