4/24 report - wind and more wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4/24 report - wind and more wind

Here is my first offical report from West Bay.

Left house at 6:15, hit my first spot and the wind was already blowing good. No bait movement, threw plastics for 30 minutes or so, no hits.

Went to next spot and two boats were in the area with waders, so I left.

Went to Mud cut area, not bait, wind blowing harder. Fished for 30 minutes and left.

Heading back east from Mud cut and the brand new engine on my boat started cutting out. Not sure what was happening, but I made the decision to head back to the house.

Pulled up and noticed in the cove across the street a ton of bait and lots of movement, so I jumped in and within a few minutes caught a 19" red, which was obviously released. Had a few good hits after that and then called it a day.

Fishing under the lights tonight with the wife, will send report if we do any good.

Have a good weekend.
    LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

I hear you caught a 23" red in the lights last night.....Nice job! Those Glow plastics work great in the lights.
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Yes I did and we just ate it. The wife made a great red fish with spices and a shiner bock baste.
      LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

They are in the lights! Menhaden are in the coves and the trout and reds are gorging themselves!
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Hey Mike, when are you guys going back? I have a great hard plastic lure that works great in the lights. I don't know the name, but if you are heading back on Monday stop by my work and I can run to cut rate for a minute and show you. It works great!

Comment

Originally posted by TTU Wader View Post
            I fished the lights in Jamaica a ton last summer. Throw something light that wont make a loud splash. Those trout are really spooky and dont like big heavy jigs thrown at them. Go to FTU and pick up a couple of yozuri 3d minnows in the white color. Those lures are awesome and are really easy to use. As for bait, live shrimp works good, so do really small finger mullet.
            Yozuri that is it!

Comment

I have heard alot of good things about the Yozuri and might pick one up eventually. Tried fishing the lights last night and there was SOOOO much bait in the water they did not even care about the plastic or live shrimp we were throwing. At one light it looked like a hurricane of bait going in a circle. When you have a few beers in ya, it looked even cooler.

By the way, I was supposed to be fishing with Chip this morning, but the boat is not running well at all. I have to pull the sucker out of the water AGAIN and get it looked at. This is the second time since I bought it (less then 10 hours on the boat) that I am having to bring it back to the dealer. Not a happen camper about that.
              LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Fuel issues? Make sure you use Stabil... This is vital for us weekend warriors.

Also, for the bait when it gets that thick... Use a Corky or bust out a fly rod and tie on a gummy minnow blue color and place it out there and let it sink a little give it a twitch let it sit.

The menhaden are in thick it sounds like. When they die next month watch the water turn rusty brown!

Comment

Yes, it is fuel related. Boat was running great most of the morning on Friday and then it started cutting out on me after leaving mud cut. I am currently sitting in the parking lot of west marine waiting for them to open, so I can buy a new prime bulb. I hope this fixes the problem.

I will Stabil as well, thanks for the advise

As for fishing, I will try that tonight if it happens again. By the way, when the bait dies off and you mention the water looks rusty, I am wondering if that is the reason it looked like an oil spill at the end of our canal??? The water did look rusty and I could only see it with by Costa Del Mar on.
                  LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                    Fuel issues? Make sure you use Stabil... This is vital for us weekend warriors.

Also, for the bait when it gets that thick... Use a Corky or bust out a fly rod and tie on a gummy minnow blue color and place it out there and let it sink a little give it a twitch let it sit.

The menhaden are in thick it sounds like. When they die next month watch the water turn rusty brown!

Crappie jigs with the smallest head possible...deadly I'm telling you!
                    Don't be a Nancy!
                    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

What your describing might be more of fresh water pouring in through a drain pipe into the bay... I don't think they are dying off just yet.

Comment

fuel restriction? You do have a fuel/water seperator right?

Comment

Hey nice report. Atleast you didn't get completely skunked. Those winds must have been brutal!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                            fuel restriction? You do have a fuel/water seperator right?
                            I have not clue, but I put on the new prime pump and it did not make a difference. I took the boat out of the water and will drop it off tomorrow.

It is under warranty for 5 years, so why should I screw with it??????? You would think that the mechanic at the dealership would recommend things that would make the engine run solid no matter what!
                            LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Thanks for the report
                              "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Working...
                              X