Baffin Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baffin Report

Just a short report on the 2nd annual KAND trip to the Laguna Madre to fish the hallowed ground of Baffin Bay. The day after Christmas, we met Albert at the boat ramp at 6 am sharp, The Bluffs Landing has a great ramp, quality rooms and wonderful restaurant all in one. We got everything organized launched the boat and the 4 of us with high hopes made the run up the Laguna Madre 18 miles to the sacred waters of Baffin. The first day of the three was without a doubt was the coldest, it warmed a bit in the afternoon. We fished the usual places, started at Cathead, moved down and tried an area outside and inside The Tidegauge, fished some around E Kleberg Point, headed back to Cathead and then decided to check out Yarboruogh and Rocky Slough. We fished hard and grinded out a box of 10 or 11 fish, nothing of size with the exception of a 23 inch fish and certainly not what the 4 of us were looking for.

After a great dinner, with some help from a student and friend, day 2 was planned, renewed hope for that elusive 30 inch trophy was on. We left the ramp a few minutes earlier and made our way to the Badlands which has always held big fish. Day 2, was warmer low 50's and wind at 7 to 9, We strung 20 fish that went between 20 to 24 inches, and a few 25's all 4 to 6 lb trout. We released all the fish over 25, with 4 to 5 fish in the high 20's, Albert and I both claim to have lost 30 inch plus fish that day, I had one hit my Corky come up and roll and spit it, her tail and body was the biggest I've ever seen, I lost another that pulled drag forever with a huge headshake and when she was ten feet from me took the hook and oring off my Corky and swam away. Albert will have to share his own story of the two monsters that he never landed, About 1230 we pulled up and headed out for a scouting trip with no other fish caught

Day 3, was a short one but, yes we decided to hit exactly the same area we targeted day 2, On the water early, it was scary flat for Baffin, no wind and def the warmest day we fished. The sunrise could have been the most spectacular I've ever seen, We caught some fish but the big girls were gone, either the no wind or the warner waters temps moved them out but, it was like, where the heck did they go !!! Albert did hook up on a 10 lb plus fish early that we got a brief look of body and swirl (think he is still sick about losing this fish) but she broke him off at the leader taking Corky with her. Kevin my Brother In-law caught and released a 28 and Darrell strung a 23

Three days of great fun with great friends, a trip I'll never forget
    Attached Files

That is a nice sunrise. Thanks for sharing!
    Resident Ninja

Comment

a Few more pics
      Attached Files

Comment

Sweet, Neil! You and Mell were busy! Great pix!
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Good report & story, I like to read about the wildlife & landscape seen. Great pictures too !

Comment

The buck was on the Kennedy shoreline, we got 15 yards from him, acually two of them before they bolted

Comment

What a great report. Thanks for the story and the pictures.

JYC
              "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Nice trip guys...
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Nice report & pics.
                  Today is a new day!!

Comment

That is what I am talking about fellas! I am looking forward to getting down there in the spring!
                    sigpic
                    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

SWEET! Looks like you guys had a blast!
                      Excellent report & photosThanks for sharing.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice Report and Beautiful Fish
                        Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
                        (AKA Evans Marine Services)
                        4340 19th St.
                        Bacliff, Texas 77518
                        http://evansmarine.net
                        http://boatwerxtx.com
                        main@boatwerxtx.com
                        281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

It was a very memorable trip. Not sure if it is a winter thing, but we witnessed some of the most brilliant sunrises and sunsets. The fishing was the most consistent solid fish I have every experienced down there. Good weather and great friends made the trip. The lesson learned was, ALWAYS retie a new shock leader after each trip in Baffin. I believe I lost two really large trout, one of which broke my leader witnessed by Mr. Wilkins. I realized the night before there was an indention in the leader, but I felt it was going to be just fine…..wrong! All I can ask for is the opportunity, and it was certainly there. Look forward to the next KAND trip!

Comment

Neil and Albert looks and sounds like ya'll had a trip that you will never forget.Thanks for sharing.BTW what is a KAND trip?
                            I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Originally posted by reeltime View Post
                              Neil and Albert looks and sounds like ya'll had a trip that you will never forget.Thanks for sharing.BTW what is a KAND trip?

Been waiting on that question, Kevin Albert Neil Darrell, thus KAND

Comment

Working...
                              X