Jhua's Gigging Report- 12/30/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jhua's Gigging Report- 12/30/11

Headed out to our flounder gigging hole last night. In the water by 9. Tide was slowly slowly creeping in. Worked a soft bottom next to the grass line. Water was extremely clear and winds were light. Thank goodness we brought the crab bucket because we ended up with this....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0146.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	571052

And on the far shoreline, nestled among the grass, My dad an I found these two hooligans

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0145.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	571053

Finally gigged one this year! Then we stayed out a bit to watch the fireworks that some people were lighting. A great evening!
    Resident Ninja

Nice fish and Lightning Whelks, our state shell btw.

Comment

If they are the state shell can you eat them?

Comment

nice dude nice.

Comment

Originally posted by FP10 View Post
          If they are the state shell can you eat them?
          Yeah...but I just read that you can only harvest in your daily bag. Didn't know that. Thanks ScubaRu for bringing this to my attention.
          Resident Ninja

Comment

No worries. I found my first one while gigging in West Bay myself, I thought it was a conch.

Comment

Nice bud!
              KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Glad you were able to stick one. Nice report.

Comment

I once came across a lighting welk that had the big part of it's shell as big as a softball.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                  Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Jhua, How do you cook the whelks? If I'd known they were edible I'd have collected a few!
                    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
                      Jhua, How do you cook the whelks? If I'd known they were edible I'd have collected a few!
                      Boil em and dip em in fish sauce.
                      Resident Ninja

Comment

I like them scalded just enough to remove from the shell, take the meaty foot, discard guts. Tenderize the hell out of the foot, and thin slice. Put in in the gumbo or use for whatever, it is similar to clam strips.

There is a way to get them out of the shell fresh. You have to break a hole in the spiral and run a wire in. You can find it online, look up how to clean conchs, it is the same thing. I'll be that would be good fried (crack conch), or in ceviche.

Comment

Nice fish! I've never been gigging, but am wanting to go badly after seeing your pic!
                          "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

Working...
                          X